Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 31, 2005, 4:41 PM   #1

Well, after taking my umpteenth (notice the technobabble) blurry picture on my FujiFilm 3800 w/ the flash turned off, or taking long distance pics w/ the flash on, and having to post-process them to death to increase the brightness, I'VE HAD ENOUGH!

I've started wading through reviews and such looking for a high-quality solution to taking nice lo-light condition picutres (example: Concert pics at night w/ low lighting conditions.. other than stage lighting) I know its quite possible, as I've seen other people's pictures from the same concert as me, and they look like they were shot in a studio! :sad:

Can anyone shoot me a few models that they might recommend? I'm looking at a budget of around $1000, so I'm hoping to edge into the "enthusiast" range of dSLR if I'm lucky, and find a good deal.

Regards

C_Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 31, 2005, 6:22 PM   #2

i'd say the Canon Digital Rebel XT. there's some varying views on the kit lens, but since you're getting into it slowly, it'd be a good lens to start off with and learn the overall feel and settings of the camera. i've done months of research on this camera, and am about to purchase it. from tons of other people i've heard that have it, they are very impressed with it. just my $0.02

-jon rowe
[email protected]
http://www.magnolia-net.com/~jedmag/photography/
jedmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2005, 9:01 PM   #3

yah, get an xt and put a really fast lens on it like a Canon F1.8 50mm lens that retails for less than $100 US.

Bump the ISO up to 1600 and let it rip!
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2005, 9:10 PM   #4

Now honestly, C_Doc-

Why would you want to spend over $1,000 (US) purchasing a Canon 350D/XT, when you could almost 100% solve your promblem for less than $300 (US) with a Fuji F-10 or later this fall with a great Fuji S-9000, selling for less than $500 (US)?

Please do not be sucked like a vacuum into the dSLR frezy. There are still great fixed lens digital cameras out there. Please let me know if you would like to save some money, and still get great digital photos, like this one.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2005, 9:40 PM   #5

Yes, some people should be hesitant before jumping on the dSLR ship. A lot of it is marketing, and it is specifically setup to cost lots of money since it is marketed to professionals (people making money from photography). You can't just get a body and be set. Before you know it you've spent more on your camera than your car.

One thing I don't really understand is why digital SLRs would be the frenzy. In the 35mm world it makes perfect sense. Either you have a camera with a direct optical viewfinder, which doesn't show exactly what the photo will be... or you have a Single Lens Reflex and see what the lens sees. But this doesn't apply to digital!

With digital, you can see what the sensor sees because the signal can be pumped to the LCD display. This means that the P&S digital cameras are essentially doing what the optical SLR cameras do, but they do it electronically. Manufacturers make dSLRs because that is what the people with the money are used to using. So they are more familiar with a Rebel XT style than relearning now that the technology has changed.

This history of the SLR website by Nikon says it honestly, "Though SLR cameras are common around the world, they have a rather prestigious image — they are perceived as "high-class" and thought to be used by only professional photographers." - http://www.nikon.co.jp/main/eng/feelnikon/kumon/01e.htm

The digital SLRs seem to be tapping into the already big market of the 35mm SLRs rather than inventing something new and moving us into new territory. To me the non-slr cameras are far superior to the SLRs in many ways... but the trend is that the SLR demands respect and makes people feel higher-class.

p.s. - I just realized why dSLRs are so important... it's not about the "Single Lense Reflex"... it is all about the lenses. If someone has thousands of dollars invested in lenses for their 35mm SLR they don't want to switch to digital. But if there is a Canon Rebel XT that allows them to reuse all their old EF lenses then they will make the jump. Not only does it lure in all the 35mm people, but it suckers newbies into the SLR game, and now Canon can make tons more off lenses and accessories.
fake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2005, 10:37 PM   #6

speaklightly wrote:
Quote:
.... or later this fall with a great Fuji S-9000, selling for less than $500 (US)
Funny you should mention this camera... After posting my request, I went back and started looking around from ground-zero on FujiFilm.com and ran across the specs for this camera. If it does the job they say it will, with the anti-blur and natural light modes, that they claim it does, it should fill my needs quite nicely, and plus, I can use my existing XD cards in both cameras

Thanks for the info.. and by all means, dont stop giving opinions or model examples

Regards

C_Doc is offline   Reply With Quote