Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 31, 2005, 5:48 PM   #1

I am in the market for a compact digital camera. I already own a Minolta Z1 which I like and use a lot but at times it is cumberson to lug around. I have looked at a few models and have read reviews/waiting for reviews on most of them. The models I have looked at are the Casio s500, Minolta x50 and 60, Kodak v550 and the panasonic FX 7. I like the size of the Casio but the LCD screen did not impress me and some of the pictures I took in the store looked fuzzy . I know that it may look different when prints are made. The Kodak had a great lcd. I liked the quick start ups from both Minoltas and the fact theat the lens did not extend. Also I am use to their mwnu system. I then started to look at the Panasonics due to the image stabalization on them. I sometimes like to take night shots and this would help. I hear the FX 9 will have a better lcd.. The more I looked the more I became undecided about what I wanted. Want quick start up, pocket size good image quality(enough to print an quality 8 by 10), ability to take decent night shots, quick picture to picture time or continuous shooting. I do shoot some very short videos with my Z1 now but nothing major. All have there pluses and minuses so i am looking for anyone who has had hands on experience with any of the above models.
drew64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 1, 2005, 1:00 PM   #2

Forgive my poor English, and that I have no ideas to help you at the moment.

But I think you better list your requirements & preferences in more precise point-by-point format. This will help us to understand you and to organize your own needs. E.g a table listing your req's and check each selected DC against the degree it meets the req's.
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2005, 3:20 PM   #3

If you want shots in very limited lighting without a tripod you need either stabilization or something with high ISO capability like the Fuji F10. Stabilization doesn't help for subject motion, but higher ISO gives more noise.

Shutter lag and cycle times aren't great on the X50. I haven't seen numbers on the X60. Steve isn't big for exact numbers like Imaging Resource, but it appears the X60 is a little faster. But still not up to the competition for full autofocus shutter lag. F3.3 is more limited for low light in wide, but it doesn't lose as much with zoom as the others. Battery life doesn't look too great with either of them.

Most current small cameras start up pretty quickly anymore. I guess the difference between say 1.2 and 2.2 seconds could be a factor if you aim the camera before turning it on. If I switch my little Casio on it is ready to shoot by the time I get it pointed in the direction of something.

You can print a great 8 X 10 with any of the cameras you listed. The devil is in the details. You can get an image you can print at that size in more varied light with stabilization.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2005, 7:05 PM   #4

Basically i want a compact camera, pocket size that can produce good images up to 8 by 10. Good start up speed and good shot to shot speed. Movie mode is a plus but i have a camcorder for longer movies. I have only used my z1 for short movies anyway. Night shots dont have to be great but when i was on vacation I took a few with the z1 in Baltimores inner harbor and they were nice. I just didnt feel like lugging it around. I know the panasonics fz8/9 have image stabalization which would help. I take a lot of pictured of my daughter as well. So thats what im looking for. The quality of the lcd screen is important to me since a lot of shots i took on vacation were in bright sun and i needed to use mt optical veiw finder on the z1 a few times. I like the looks of the fuji although it seems a little large for pocket size. I also dont like that fuji uses xd cards. I have a few SD cards and would like something that uses those. Exactly why I dont like sony either
drew64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2005, 9:06 PM   #5

The Kodak V550 has an optical viewfinder and a better than average LCD. Movies are OK with MPEG4. And you can use the optical zoom during movie recording – albeit with some noise. Steve wasn't crazy about the movies as they have a low bit rate. It seems to be fairly fast. 2 second startup and 0.3 seconds of full autofocus shutter lag if you don't use review. It has a nice burst mode, but the buffer isn't great.

I would suggest you look through Steve's list of best cameras. Each listing is a link to the full review: http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote