Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 1, 2005, 10:05 AM   #1

OK. This will be my first digital camera. If I am going to be spending a couple hundred $$ then I want to make the best choice posssible. I would like to keep the total under $500-600.

I will be using this camera primarily for outdoor photography, but would also like to be able to use it indoors, at family get togethers, snapshots, etc. I will be going to South Dakota later this fall and wanted to take it with me to do some wildlife photography so I prefer it not be a full-size prof type model. It would be really great if I could find one with good quality nigth mode. and an adjustable aperature and shutter speed would be nice too, but not absolutely necessary. Remote capability wiill also be great

Since I will be taking some pitcures through a 15-45X zoom crispness is very important (adapters available is not important, I can make my own - machine shop). My dad has a DSC-W5. I like the size. If I could find a camera that is about this size but takes clearer pictures. I was looking at a W7, but wanted to know if anyone had any other opinions. Thanks.
mryamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2005, 8:02 AM   #2

TTT.

anyone?? anyone??
mryamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 8:15 AM   #3

Kodak Dx7440/Z730, or DX7630/Z760, Any of these are, small, fast, good inlow light, alarge (visible low light) LCD, superb kodak color, & clarity, under $300 usually, try them out, if you think the pics look good online, wait till you print them, even better!
MikDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2005, 5:50 PM   #4

You can buy the DX7440 right now at kodak.com for $199 ($50 off).* I ordered one this morning.Good luck!Samhttp://www.samhavens.com
samboh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2005, 6:45 PM   #5
Administrator

mryamz wrote:
Quote:
Since I will be taking some pitcures through a 15-45X zoom crispness is very important (adapters available is not important, I can make my own - machine shop). My dad has a DSC-W5. I like the size. If I could find a camera that is about this size but takes clearer pictures. I was looking at a W7, but wanted to know if anyone had any other opinions. Thanks.
What do you mean by 15-45x zoom?

If you think you'll need longer focal lengths, I'd go with a model with a longer focal length lens (especially if you plan on printing the images).

If you're going to be shooting at longer focal lengths in less than optimum lighting without a tripod, I'd also suggest making sure the lens is both bright and stabilized (and/or the camera is capable of shooting at higher ISO speeds without too much image degradation from noise).

The lens on the W7 is only equivalent to a 35-114mm lens on a 35mm camera.Also, like most compact models, it loses a lot of light asmore zoom is used (f/5.2 on the long end of the lens). So, based on your initial post, this camera doesn't even sound like it's in the same class of camera you want (other than size).

You'll find a10-12x Optical Super Zoom Category in our Best Cameras List

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote