Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 1, 2005, 1:40 PM   #1

I know this has been asked a hundred times but everytime I read somehting else about one of these cameras I change my mind.
Originaly I had my heart set on the Fuji S5500 (5100 in US) but read about (and seen proof of) its poor macro performance and vignetting (dark corners) problem on professional review sites. I have seen no mention of this in private reviews and was wondering whether its luck of the draw or whether its not as bad as these sites make out?
I am aware of the focussing and purple fringing issues with the canon and was wondering what is worse/most noticable/irritating in your opinion - purple fringing or dark corners and are these problems that can't be overcome with photo editing software?

The other thing is the s5500 is currently down to £180, the canon £230 and the Olympus in between at £200. But I did wonder if it would be worth waiting to see what the 5600 would be like but wasn't sure of its prices. I have read its supposed to come in at around $400 but this would only be about £250 and I can't see this being the case - anyone know any UK prices? As a guide the canon S2 has come out at £400 in the UK, thats just over $700!!

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for your help

Daniel
dfzynuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 1, 2005, 1:57 PM   #2

I would suggest you go to www.pbase.com and do a search for the cameras you are interested in. Some people store full sized images that are very helpful. Go to the bottom on the full image and click "original". You will see the largest image possible from that particular photo.

I had a little Panasonic S4 for a while that had soft corners and a little vignetting at wide angle. I can't say I ever took a photo that I found that to be a factor. Old pros often softened and vignetted the corners slightly to give their images more punch. If you copy documents, maps etc it might be a problem, but for normal photos it isn't that big a deal. You might look on pbase for images you find the corner softness and vignetting to be a factor.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2005, 9:45 PM   #3

Hi: Check out the sample photos and the reviews of the C770 and C765 right here at Steve's digicams.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/c770uz.html

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/c765uz.html
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2005, 3:41 AM   #4

No vignetting on my S5100, and the macro works fine. Check out the threads here - the subject has been beaten to death.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2005, 10:17 AM   #5

cheers for those suggestions, have decided to go for the 5500, am now eagerly awaiting delivery

Daniel
dfzynuna is offline   Reply With Quote