Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 1, 2005, 3:08 PM   #1

I'm considering Nikon D50, Canon 350XT, Konica Minolta D5 , Olympus E-300 and Pentax istDs in that order.

What will ice the cake is "Service after the sale" from Nikon, Canon etc.

Is there a link or this forums comments/suggestions that can help with this information?

I'm not a techno Geek which is the reason I bought a Dell computer. For example my CD burner died on a Friday and Dell service replaced it on Monday.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Astronut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 1, 2005, 3:32 PM   #2

I think you will find they are all equally bad. I've used three of those you mentioned above and was not pleased with any of them.

If you need service they all want you to ship or deliver the camera to them at your expense. If service is needed it usually takes weeks and then the shipping back to you.

Service and repair not covered by warranty, or out of warranty also costs a packet.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2005, 4:28 PM   #3

Thanks,

May I ask, which DSLR manufacturer has the better turn around repair service in terms of weeks, months, or years? LOL!!

Maybe, I should ask, which DSLR is the most reliable of the above mentioned cameras?

Or maybe, I should hang onto my 35 year old manual Pentax for another 10 years?
Astronut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2005, 4:42 PM   #4

I've used Canon, Nikon, Minolta, and Sigma service in Canada and I was not pleased with any of them.

All of them took several weeks three-four to do the service & repairs and get the camera or lens back to me.

IMHO: they are all reliable as each other, they had no trouble fixing their product. But they are not really interested in fast after sales service and repair. After all their main income is from new product sales not repairs.

Once they have your cash form the original sale it almost seems like going to a used car dealer for repair of a lemon you bought. Well not really so bad, but it sure felt like it.

Best service I had was getting my old Canon A1 repaired, took 2 days to rebuild the mirror return, done by an old service tech working on his own.

Peter.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote