Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 2, 2005, 2:02 PM   #1

I am looking to upgrade my measly 3.3 megapixel camera to a digital SLR, and I thought I had decided on the Canon 20D. However, I just read a few glowing reviews on the new Olympus EVOLT E-300 and I'm starting to second-guess my decision.

I realize I may not be comparing apples to apples here...but taking into account the significant difference in price, I'm just wondering if the Oly would be more suited to an amateur camera buff like myself. I did like the fact that Olympus addressed the issue of dust on the sensor...but I'm not sure about the use of the "four-thirds" lens system...is it a fad, or the new standard? (I'm old enough to remember when the "Betamax" was supposed to be the new video standard and destined to replace VHS...and we all know how THAT turned out!!)

Again, this camera will be used mostly for family vacations and kids events...so I don't really need a "pro" camera.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Babyfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 2, 2005, 2:16 PM   #2
Super Moderator

why don't you look into the rebel xt from canon.. it offers image quality that is quite comparable to the 20d (i have a 20d and have shot extensively on the XT, so i know) and a price that compares with the e-300.. that would be my choice for you..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2005, 4:48 PM   #3

Hards80 has a great recommendation. However, I still would consider that the 20D is best camera in it's class.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 9:01 AM   #4

I actually checked out the Digital Rebel...but it just felt cheap (for lack of a better term) compared to the 20D, perhaps because of the plastic body (compared to the magnesium alloy body on the 20D).The only reason I would choose something different from the 20D is if it is a better choice...not necessarily for a better price.

I was considering the Oly because it is the first SLR camera designed as purely digital from the ground up.I dolike the "Supersonic Wave Filter" feature (that literally shakes the dust off the sensor), but the fact that it adopted the new lens standard is questionable to me...andthis cameraDOES NOT support USB 2.0. For these reasons I think I'm going with the 20D. Prices are getting better every day for that camera!!
Babyfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 3:08 PM   #5

Another reason to now consider the E-300 is Oly just dropped the pricing on the E-300 body, 1 lens kit and dual lens kit. The two lens kit can now be had for under $800usd which gets you the E-300 body with the 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 and 40-150mm F3.5-4.5 lenses!:shock: That gives you in 35mm terms a 28-300mm range from 2 very nice lenses for under $800usd. The 2 lens kit is by far the best deal when you work out what the lenses sell for by themselves... the body works out to about $250usd ishonce you subtract what the lenses cost to buy individually.

As for the fad thing with the 4/3 standard... well only time will tell. The good news is Panasonic will have a dslr model or two coming out sometime in the near future (PMA show in February 2006) according to a joint press release from both companies.This would also mean that if you went for the two lens e-300 kit and wished to buy a panasonic body next year the two lenses from the kit would work on the pany body.

Is the e-300 as good as the 20D? Heck no, they are not in the same league as each other. Just looking at pricing on say B&H you can pick up the 2 lens E-300 kit for $40usd less than just the Rebal 350XT body and the 20D body sits at $560usd more!

tkmckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 4:07 PM   #6
Super Moderator

the major problem i have with the oly's is the noise.. they just can't compete at higher ISO's due their small sensor size.. other than that they are well made and have good resolution.. it really depends on what you will be shooting.. if you are going to be doin available low light work though, something from canon is a better bet.. if not, then you will be fine either way..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2005, 7:28 PM   #7

Hards-

I surely agree with you. Noise is really the big issue with the E-Volt 300 if you shoot a lot of low light level photos. In the correct lighting, it is an excellent digital camera.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2005, 4:03 PM   #8

I ordered the E-300 dual lens kit and am totally happy with it. It takes great photos. I have not run into the noise issue yet, but in my research, I ran across a guy on dpchallenge.com who had access to use the E-300 and Rebel XT both, and he said he would have chosen the E-300 if he had it to do again (if he had to pick just 1). Now granted, the Rebel XT is not the 20D, but the image quality is supposed to be very similar between those 2 Canon models. What makes the E-300 shine is dynamic range. 2 stops more of dynamic range above all the competion. Which means mor range from lightest areas of the photos to darkest areas of the photos. Now, not being a techno geek, this means very little to me, other than the E-300 is a great camera, andconsidering the price differential, the 2 lens kit is a very good deal, regardless of what camera you are comparing it to.
HornOUBet is offline   Reply With Quote