Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 2, 2005, 11:55 PM   #1

Help - I am a flyfisherlady and am looking for resonably priced waterproof camera. Am afraid of dropping my expensive digital in the river. Do not need underwater camera nor want the bulky underwater case. What should I buy :?thank you!
ladykimono is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 3, 2005, 12:02 AM   #2

Firstly, many of us have our screens set to a different setting so your post is yellow on white and invisible! For those others with the same screen settingleft click and scroll over the message to read it, as I have done!

Your problem is simple - it is either going to be in the water or in your hand and as such you are going to need a waterproof camera which will be bulky I'm afraid. There are "water resistant" cameras out there which are made for the beach and outdoors but mostly are not completely waterproof so there will be a risk involved. By not being bulky I assume you want a pocket sized camera and I would ask you to look at the Nikon S2 which is about as near I feel as you are going to get for your needs.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 12:54 AM   #3
JFW

Hey there LadyKimono,

Konnichi wa from Okinawa!

You know, Steve's list of best cameras has an "all-weather" catagory. (I was looking briefly at the Pentax Optio.. it looked interesting.) I don't know ifthis is what you need, but there is a list ofcameras to choose from and that should give you a starting place..

http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html

gambatte!

j:bye:
JFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 12:59 AM   #4

If you don't plan on submerging it much, a spash bag like the EWA-marine bags or Aqua-Pac's will work. I'ts what I use to take my Nikon P&S kayaking.

They are made of felxiable plastic and have an "clear optical" plastic port that you shoot through.

Peter.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 4:34 AM   #5

These bags sound great since I'm afraid of dropping camera in H2O or splashing w/ river water. Where do I get these bags? How much? -- arigato - thank you Sorry about the yellow ---
Old Aug 3, 2005, 4:39 AM   #6

JFW - Arigato but don't think these will work since if I drop the camera it will be submersed for a while. So a case would be great for - it will be in my hand, in the case, or in the water. I love to wade - wading stick, rod and camera in hand (for pic of my big catch since I catch, give it a kiss, than release)
Old Aug 3, 2005, 8:38 AM   #7

EWA-Marine english page, there is a dealer locator tab on the left http://www.ewa-marine.de/english/index.htm

Aqua-pac http://www.aquapac.net/

For the Nikon 5400 point&shoot it was about 150$cdn for the bag.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 1:44 PM   #8

Peter - thanks - looks like they will work - altho a little $$ for me - maybe will try a heavy duty baggie since just need to carry camera & not to shoot How do you like you Nikon? Been thinking about the 5900 (smaller than my DMC FZ3)
Old Aug 3, 2005, 1:55 PM   #9

Lady Kimono-

There is one more digital camera from Pentax that has not been mentioned. It is the Pentax Optio WP. It is 5mp with 3X of optical zoom. It is completely waterproof to a depth of 1.5 meters, or about 5 feet. It sells for about $240 (US),

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 2:30 PM   #10

Will look at it - thanks. Does anyone know anything about the Sony Cybershot DSC U60. Discontinued but on e-bay for $199