Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 3, 2005, 11:04 AM   #1

Hello everyone.

This is my first post in these forums and I want to say a big thank you to steve and all the people in the forums for the help and advice they offer.

I want to buy a Sony digital camera and I was going for the W5. Then I found out that problem it has with the red eye issue in nearly every portrait. After reading many magazines and going through steve's site I found out that the P200 would be a very good buy. Minutes before I made my order on-line I came across a random site about digital cameras which had user reviews in it as well, and many people were saying that they got blurry pictures out of it etc ... Any advice would be helpful because according to steve the P200 is pretty awesome.

Just to let you know this is going to be my first digital camera.

Thanks in advance,

Daffy
Daffymaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 3, 2005, 2:35 PM   #2

Newbes get blurry pictures. Their eyes are adjusted to the indoor light and they feel it should be fine for a picture without using the flash. Rather than half press the shutter and see what shutter speed they are generating they just snap the picture without a flash. That is exacerbated when they are zoomed out because the camera is letting in only about a third the light making for even slower shutter speeds, and when you zoom out you actually need more shutter speed. Newbes, unaware they have a shutter speed problem, also often hold the camera out in front of them using the LCD rather than learn a more steady stance with the eyelevel viewfinder.

Regardless of the camera they would get blurry pictures. An exception to that would be with a mechanically stabilized lens or one with good noise reduction that lets you use a high ISO. All of the small cameras I know of with either of those features lose some of their advantage by not having an eyelevel viewfinder. In the dpreview conclusion of the FX7 test, the reviewer said the stabilization just about made up for the poor holding position caused by lack of an optical finder. I think that is overstated, but it is a factor.

One complaint about the P200 and some other Sony cameras is the flash sync speed. Sony uses 1/40 rather than 1/60 sec like most other companies. That gives better lighting of the background but can cause ghosts caused by movement and the background lighting. The P200 lets you manually select a shutter speed, so that wouldn't be a problem for me. Zoomed out for a flash shot with fairly bright background lighting you would probably want to go a little over the 1/60 anyway.

Professional reviewers like Steve know how to use a camera. If they have complaints they are usually valid. The complaints registered by newbe owners could probably be transferred to any camera they bought. That they bought camera X rather than camera Y is almost immaterial. The Panasonic FX7/8/9 or Fuji F10 might be an exception to that. But they both produce red eye and have no optical viewfinder.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 7:30 PM   #3

Slipe thanks a lot for your reply.

I can see where you're coming from. I will just go on and buy the P200. Seems really good to start of with. I am also thinking about buying the "National Geographic photography book" as a refference along with the forums here and some other digital photography magazines. Any ideas on that one?

Best regards,

Daffy
Old Aug 4, 2005, 1:15 AM   #4

Daffymaria wrote:
Quote:
Slipe thanks a lot for your reply.

I can see where you're coming from. I will just go on and buy the P200. Seems really good to start of with. I am also thinking about buying the "National Geographic photography book" as a refference along with the forums here and some other digital photography magazines. Any ideas on that one?

Best regards,

Daffy
I'm no help on current books. I subscribed to magazines and read numerous books back in my old film SLR days. But I'm not up to date on that.

I think the P200 is a good starter camera. If you eventually upgrade to something larger you will still have a good pocket camera to always have with you. And a pocket camera with a viewfinder and some manual controls. After researching for my latest pocket camera I was down to the P200 and Casio Z750. I went with the Casio and haven't regretted the choice, it is an excellent little camera obviously designed by enthusiasts who also happened to be engineers. But it has a lot of red eye like all small cameras except for the P150/P200. I don't mind removing it in Photoshop, but it could be considered a nuisance.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2005, 9:55 AM   #5

My Sony Cybershot P200 arrives tomorrow and I can't wait to start taking pictures !

If there's someone sooooooooo excited in this world. that's me :P

I can see different contests and challenges all over the internet in agfanet.com , dpchallenge.com and so on .. but all seem to be taken with dSLR cameras. Is anyone aware of any "challenges" that the contenter is supposed to use compact digital cameras ? ..

Best wishes,

"excited" Daffy