Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 4, 2005, 11:19 AM   #1

Have been researching constantly for a couple months and believe I am going to buy the Pentax Optio S5z. Have been eliminating choices as I have been looking. From what i can tell the new Panasonics (FX8/FX9) match up well or better but are not readily available.

Kodak V550 is a crowd pleaser, but I don't like the Kodak-only battery and having to charge it in the camera. Casio's many choices in the same type of camera (Z55, Z57, S500) have not had great image quality results from what I've read/seen. Similar image quality results for the Samsung V700, not sure about the i5. Nikon Coolpix S1 is a solid contender minus the lower res video mode. Love the Canon Elphs but no sport or snow modes. Minolta has the X60 again w/lower res video and also the X1 which may be worth a look.

Staying away from Olympus, Fuji and Sony just becuase of the memory card differing from the rest of the industry and other electronic devices as well...

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Rushski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2005, 10:27 PM   #2

"...Kodak V550 is a crowd pleaser, but I don't like the Kodak-only battery and having to charge it in the camera...."

You don't like the crowd or want to stand out from it?

In fact, the battery is not kodak-only, but nothing-only - spare battery not available yet (at least not in Hong Kong, heard mid-August).

But if the battery has been released, I think you won't mind kodak-only, becasue it's only US$20 - not many 3rd-party battery manufacturer would like to compete with the original vendor at that price.

I'd say v550 is well-balanced in many features. It may not be aprize-winner in a single feature, but you'll just feel that it's got a very balanced feature set. Especially the movie capability is the strongest among the models you mentioned (and in fact other card-sized DC).

If there is anythig I'd like to complain, is the lack of manual focusing, and manual aperture/shutter. But afterall the design was just for ease-of-use.
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2005, 12:38 PM   #3

I wouldn't worry about the memory card differing.

In just about any format, you can find a resonably priced 512mb (under $40) card which should do you for most of your photography.

I once filled up a 1 gig card using my Canon 20D (8 meg sensor) but I had to work real hard to do it (semi-pro shooting day).

As for which camera to buy, no matter what you buy these days, it will be hugely superceded by better, cheaper cameras within two years time.

Just buy something you know you'll be happy with for a couple of years, and think of some young person you'd give the camera away to in a couple of years.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2005, 12:39 PM   #4

I wouldn't worry about the memory card differing.

In just about any format, you can find a resonably priced 512mb (under $40) card which should do you for most of your photography.

I once filled up a 1 gig card using my Canon 20D (8 meg sensor) but I had to work real hard to do it (semi-pro shooting day).

As for which camera to buy, no matter what you buy these days, it will be hugely superceded by better, cheaper cameras within two years time.

Just buy something you know you'll be happy with for a couple of years, and think of some young person you'd give the camera away to in a couple of years.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2005, 2:49 PM   #5

Interested in subcompacts? Take a look at the Olympus Stylus 800. Steve just published the first professional review of this great all alround digital camera.

Not only does it give you 8mp of resolution, and has full manual controls, but take a look it is pleasantly small and very pocketable. It quite a digital camera.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2005, 8:48 AM   #6

I like Olympus as a rule. They tend to take very good pics. My problem w/Olympus,FujiandSony is that I already bought an SD card. Don't like how they buck the norm to make a little more money.

Though, the Stylus 800 andalso 500 seem to be excellent cameras in their class.

Rushski is offline   Reply With Quote