Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 6, 2005, 7:33 PM   #1

A Kodak digital camera with:* Lots of scene modes,* Capability of shooting successfully at sunset or later,* Thanks,Sam
samboh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 7, 2005, 4:30 PM   #2

I recently purchased the Kodak V550. Pricey, but lots of scene modes including night and sunset. (Was your question a set-up :lol:?) It's a point and shoot camera for the person who is happy with auto most everything.

I've used several of the scene modes, though not night and sunset. The museum mode works well. It turns off the flash and uses ambient light. In this mode, colors are true and the results are not dim at all. Daytime outdoor shots appear to be excellent in all kinds of sun and clouds conditions.

I'm not happy with interior shots (other than museum mode). The colors are very yellow, even naturally warm colors (reds and browns) shift to yellow. Probably need to look at what can be changed in the white balance area.

Because I've yet to print a picture from the Kodak V550, I'm not recommending it without reservation. So far, though, with the exception noted, it has done what I want it to do.
mmrudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2005, 8:55 PM   #3

V550 pricey? It's everywhere USD$370 or below in Hong Kong, but has got a Schneider lens, 2.5" 230000-pxiel LCD, 32MB built-in, nice pic quality, compact/solid design, great optical zoomable mpeg-4 movie ...etc. I am sure if you can find a Japanese DC meeting the above features (though technically non-existent yet), it would cost much higher than v550.

For the indoor color WB tuning, I think you may have to switch to Tungsten or Florescent, other than relying on Auto.

The only complains I have are the short battery life, and lack of memory for frequently used settings e.g flash condition & ISO.

big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2005, 9:15 PM   #4

Samboh-

Until the Professional series it launched by Kodak, I don't believe that any Kodak digital cameras will meet your exact needs. However, most digital cameras, using Exposure Compensation can take wonderful digital photos.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2005, 1:06 PM   #5

Sarah Joyce, That is a beautiful photo!

I should add that the Kodak V550 has a printed manual. It's short enough, though I'm still in the process of internalizing how to change settings.

Between purchase price, sales tax, and a memory card, it cost on the order of USD475 in Albuquerque NM, our "big" city. I bought a couple of accessories as well. I know it can be bought for less on line. That is the way to go when you have the time.
Old Aug 8, 2005, 10:15 PM   #6

mmrudy-

The sunset phot I posted was taken with a very inexpensive K-M G-500, using minus exposure compensation which darkens the photo a bit to emphasize the sunset color.

Here is another taken with a G-6.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2005, 11:15 AM   #7

Thank you!