Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 7, 2005, 4:19 AM   #1

As both these cameras are similar in size, A520 has manual controls, 5200 has 1 more mp (5mp vs. 4mp), and price being about equal, which would you recommend with the most important criteria being all around image qualtiy? At this point, it is nice to have the manual controls but it isn't a must. More point and shoot. Will print 4x6s and 5x7s. Maybe a rare 8x11, but once in two or three years rare.

Pictures will be taken inside, in rooms with standard lighting and outdoors - vacations, beach, amusement parks, etc. Some action shots with kids running, etc.

Reviews I have read favor the Canon A520 but when I have seen comparison photos from imaging-resource on a very, very good monitor, both look good to me. I hear only prints will speel out differences.

Thanks..

Neil
Neil64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 7, 2005, 9:58 AM   #2

Neil-

It sounds like you want to stay right around the $200 (US) level, would that be correct? If so in that range you have the Canon A-520, the Nikon 5200, and the Olympus C-5000.

Yes, you would really have to make prints to see very fine differences. However, all of the cameras mentioned will give you excellent service. You can hardly go wrong with any of them. There are more manual controls on the A-520 and the C-5500, and the C-5500 has the edge in the zoom category.

Go for it!

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2005, 10:54 PM   #3

Neil-

I would like to correct an error in the above post. I apologize but I was referring to the Olympus C-5500, NOT the C-5000. This error was mine.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote