Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 7, 2005, 6:16 AM   #1

The 7070 obviously takes better images; meanwhile. the H1 has IS and a 12x optical zoom.

God I'm confused. Who knew it could be this hard to simply pick a decent digital camera? I've numbered down to 4 alternatives that are the C-7070, the H1, the S2 IS and the FZ20.

I'll name some things that enhances each and every camera. And ... those that ruin the camera.

[align=center]Olympus C-7070

[align=left]- Excellent image quality, solidly built (seen ergonomically), has got RAW as an option.
[/align] [align=left]- Quite slow, only 4x optical zoom

[align=center]Sony H1

[align=left]- 12x zoom, good (not excellent) image quality, easy to use.
- The colours might get a tad cold in the images, plus, sometimes they get a bit too soft.

[align=center]Canon S2 IS

[align=left]- Yet again, 12x zoom, Awesome IS (!), Fantastic video mode (not that I'm looking for a video cam but ....)
- Occasional chromatic abberation, no uncompressed format.

[align=center]Panasonic FZ20

[align=left]- Really good image quality, constant f2.8 while zooming, effective stabilizer, lens adapter included.
- After ISO 80 noise appears

OK. I can get all these for about the same price in Sweden (don't wanna order from America) except for the FZ20 that is around 100$ more. I really need help, and well, it's quite urgent because I suck at making decisions myself, and who knows ... maybe any of you might provide tips and such?

[/align] [/align] [/align] [/align] [/align] [/align] [/align] [/align]
eclipsic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 7, 2005, 9:53 AM   #2

It seems, at least to me,like the real question here is this: Do you want a wide angle with limited zoom and a lower price, or do you want to go with long zoom?

All of the cameras mentioned will give you good service. You will be using the camera, and just by reviewing the shots you have taken in the last six month to a year should give you a pretty accurate answer to the wide angle versus ultra zoom questionrather easily.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2005, 10:23 AM   #3

I feel like a wide angle could be more useful than a long zoom, since most of my photos turns out to be nature photos.

... However, a mega zoom comes in handy too, then and then. But my main purpose is the image quality actually, that it actually can deliver well-balanced images without having to edit it in a program later on.

Thank you
Old Aug 7, 2005, 11:29 AM   #4

Hi eclipsic:

It looks like you answered your own question in your last response to speaklightly:

"I feel like a wide angle could be more useful than a long zoom, since most of my photos turns out to be nature photos....."

Go with the wideangle. The C7070 is an excellent wide angle camera, with a rugged magnesium body. If youlater find that you sometimes need a long telephoto, then look around for a good used camera with along lens. You can sometimes find good prices on a Fuji S5100, or a Pana Z series, or an Oly C7xx series.

Good luck.

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2005, 2:21 PM   #5

Hi yet again,

Thanks for clearing up my mind, I'm going for the C-7070!