Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 7, 2005, 6:24 PM   #1
JTF

Looking to purchase my first ever camera for outdoor photography, birds etc. Any comments from current users would be appreciated. Thanks.
JTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 7, 2005, 9:37 PM   #2

I had considered both of these models before I bought the S5100. I had the opportunity to have both of them in front of me in a store to compare. My initial impression was that the C-765 looked "cheap". The S5100 felt a lot better in my hands. I'm very happy with it. Well, so much for my personal feelings...

The cycle time on the S5100 is about a quarter of a second faster than the C-765, except for when the C-765 has to clear out the buffer (about every 3 or 4 shots, I believe), when the S5100 cycle time is A LOT faster...the Fuji has no buffer to clear, so every shot takes about the same time to write to memory. The Fuji uses AA batteries, which was very important to me...I'm not a fan of proprietary batteries. The Fuji has an AF assist lamp, and the Oly doesn't...helps with low light focusing. The S5100 has a better video mode (30 fps vs. 15 fps).

Both of them will take real good pictures - a lot of what I stated above is based on my personal preferences...but then again, you asked for comments.

Good luck with your new camera.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2005, 9:49 PM   #3

I would agree with rinnie. I own the Fuji S-5000 anf the Olympus C-765. There is no doubt that the Fuji is faster, but I tend to like the photo quality, in normal lighting, of the C-765 a bit better.

When the light level decreases, the Fuji wins, because the C-765 has a hard time focusing without a focus assist lamp.

Here is a daytime C-765 sample photo.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2005, 9:58 PM   #4

Check out the new Eastman Kodak P850. 12X zoom, Image stabilization, great sensor, Auto to manual mode, Raw, Tiff or Jpeg compression. Very good Schnieder lens. Looks good to me! Go here for a look see.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=18

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2005, 5:30 AM   #5
JTF

Thanks for the good post backs all, the Fuji S5100 is the one I will get. Yes that kodak looks real nice, avail in sept. I can get a 5100 for $409.00 canadian right now. Is this price reasonable.
JTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 7:04 PM   #6

JTF,

According to my handy currency converter, $409 Canadian = $341 US. That seems a little on the high side, but what you're willing to pay is entirely up to you. If you haven't purchased yet, take a look at these:

http://www50.shopping.com/xPC-Fuji_FinePix_S5100

If you don't mind a little more risk, try ebay.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote