Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 8, 2005, 1:44 PM   #1
emn

I'm taking a Mediterraneancruise next month and I've decided to take the plunge and get a digital camera (since I'm running out of room to hold all my travel photo albums!). Anyway, after months of researching I've sort of narrowed it down to Nikon and Sony. Considering 4 models, 5mp Nikon 5900 or Sony W5 or 7mp with the Nikon 7900 and Sony W7. I have read pros and cons for both and was even considering the sony h1 for the long zoom but it's pretty large to carry around.

Any input and advice would be most appreciated. :?

Thanks in advance!
emn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 8, 2005, 10:39 PM   #2
emn

anyone?? The longer the look the more confused I get. I also noticed the Fuji F10.

I'm looking for great pictures, quick startup, good battery life in a compact size. I'd really like a zoom larger than 3x optical but there doesn't seem to be many options.
Old Aug 8, 2005, 11:24 PM   #3

Fourcompacts with longer zoom:

Olympus C-5500, 5MP, 5X optical zoom (38-190mm)

Olympus C-7000, 7MP, 5X optical zoom (38-190mm)

Panasonic DMC-LZ1, 4MP, 6X optical zoom (37-222mm) with image stabilization

Panasonic DMC-LZ1, 5MP, 6X optical zoom (37-222mm) with image stabilization

lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2005, 4:48 PM   #4

Lucky has given you some good suggestions. However, The Panasonic LZ series have not done well in the professional reviews. I have owned an Olympus C-7000 and the C-5500 both. Ilike the C-7000 better due to its smaller size, and higher mp.

The C-7000 is under $300 (US), and the C-5500 is right around $200 (US).

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2005, 9:35 PM   #5
emn

If I do decide to go with the 3x camera, which one is better? Unfortunately I have decided to buy it at Best Buy since I have a couple of gift cards there and they don't carry the Panasonic.
Old Aug 10, 2005, 11:12 PM   #6

emn wrote:
Quote:
If I do decide to go with the 3x camera, which one is better? Unfortunately I have decided to buy it at Best Buy since I have a couple of gift cards there and they don't carry the Panasonic.
Please go to Best Buys and purchase an Olympus C-7000 digital camera. Not only is it a great digital camera, but when you see the photos, you will say: "Wow!

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 11:17 PM   #7

I have to agree with Sarah Joyce. The 7MP, 5x zoom C7000 is just the right size for vacation travel, with excellent photos.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/c7000.html

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 10:07 AM   #8
emn

I checked the best buy website and they don't carrythe Olympus C-7000camera. Also, I've been reading that you don't need to go over 5mp unless you really want to print large pic's which I don't think Iwill so is a 7mp really worth the extra money???

Thanks..
Old Aug 12, 2005, 2:29 PM   #9

If you plan to take many indoor pictures, I would highly recommend the Fuji F-10. It is a 6MP camera though with only a 3X optical zoom. It is quite compact. With this camera I tried to take most of my indoor pictures without a flash. Great for dining room photos without the intrusive flash. Battery life is in the neighborhood of 500 pictures. (I guess if you don't use the flash very often, the battery goes a long way). The weak point of this camera ispictures using the flash. It washes it out a little bit. Video is not bad andmacro is great for a compact. This is a carry-everywhere camera except into the swimming pool. However, this is strictly a point and shoot camera. There is very little manual control. Look at the reviews in dpreview.com , imaging-resource.com, or dcresource.com.
Deadzone1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 4:55 PM   #10
emn

Well, being on a Med cruise, I'm sure there will be many, many outdoor shots as well as indoor shots. I want something small enough to carry around with me most of the time but it doesnt have to be so small it's hard to hold. I really didn't want to spend over $400 either. I've never had such a hard time in buying a camera. I was using a point and shoot Olympus 35mm with a 140mm zoom but last time i traveled I had a problem and the film got over exposed so I thought of going digital this trip so I can see if the pictures come out right away. Not sure if I should wait for the perfect camera to fit my needs or just pick up something out there today.