Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 9, 2005, 6:52 PM   #1

Hello,

I intend to buy a new digital camera and need an advice, which is the better

Nikon Coolpix 8800 or the new Canon 350D.

Thanks in Advance
lidana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 9, 2005, 7:43 PM   #2

if you don't mind me asking, why are you trying to decide between these two?

they are very different cameras, with very different capablities.
turkish a. punkass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2005, 8:55 PM   #3

Apples and Oranges

I agree, these cameras have only one thing in common, they both have 8MP sensors, however one is an all-in-one digicam with lots of zoom range in a fixed lens while the other is a system DSLR which (as you add lenses) will cost more in the long run but will offer much more flexibility and great high ISO performance.

The Nikon 8800 has a lot going for it but it is still based on the 2/3" Sony 8MP chip that is very noisy at high ISO. It has excellent image quality at low ISO, a very good lens and , correct me if I am wrong, it has image stabilization (which allows you to use the lower ISO settings). All in all it is good EVF camera with the handling characteristics of a point-and-shoot digicam. As a digicam it can use the LCD as a viewfinder (tilt and swivel) and it can record video clips (not to replace a camcorder but for little clips). The sealed unit is not likely to get dust on the sensor, except in extreme environments.

The Canon 350D is a true digital SLR, it uses a Canon CMOS APS-sized sensor which produces noise free images at low ISO and acceptable images up to ISO 1600. It comes with a kit lens which does not have the range of the Nikon but you can purchase lenses to suit your purpose as needed (and afforded). Operations speed is much better due to the greater processing power of the DSLR. This is a more capable camera however it will require at least one more lens to match the Nikon and it lacks image stabilization unless you purchase a very expensive IS lens. As a true DSLR it cannot use the LCD for composing the image and it cannot produce video clips. Since the lens is removable, there is the issue of cleaning the sensor to remove dust, a rather intimidating prospect for the technophobics.

As you can see, for most of us the Nikon is the better choice because it is a small light package with everything you need. The Canon is a better choice for anyone who plans on pursueing a more serious photographic hobby because it allows them to grow by adding lenses and other accessories.

The choice between these two cameras should be based entirely on what one is looking for in a camera, they are that different.

Apples and Oranges

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2005, 2:54 AM   #4

For the past 20 years I used the Pentax super A slr camera with various lenses. I want to move to digital. I have considered the Canon 350D since it is a dSLR camera and if understood correctly have better quality while shooting in high ISO. However, it is costly to by it with a set of lenses.

The Nikon most befits with the lens it has.

I'm not a professional but want to start with a camera I can grew with.
Thanks
lidana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2005, 6:22 AM   #5

Pentax *istDS, excellent camera and you already have the lenses. Probably less expensive than the Canon as well. And with the A series lenses the only feature you lose is autofocus (but the focus confirmation light still works).

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2005, 9:23 AM   #6

I agree with Monza. Stongly consider the *ist DS. You can use your Pentax lenses. It takes good pictures, is small. uses AA batteries, and has lots of features. It also has a top range 3200 ISO setting. Yes, the pictures tend to be noisy at that setting, but they are quite usable especially if you use noise reduction software. You can get it in the US at less than $660 online with the kit lens or less than 600 bucks for only the camera body.

I had a Fuji S7000 before it was stolen. I liked it very much. It was/is a very capable camera with decent low light performance. However, the *ist DS blows it away in image quality and low light performance.

The Coolpix 8800 is supposed to take great pictures at low ISOs. The complaints I read from some of its owners were about relatively long shutter lag and not great low light performance.

You could be happy with either of the cameras you mentioned, but if you already have a bunch of Pentax SLR lenses, why not use them?
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote