Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 11, 2005, 2:25 AM   #1

I use this site and read these forums a lot, so first of all a thanks for everyone who's provided so much information here.

Anyways, I've been looking for a nice, compact camera that will take good solid pictures, but also not pull my pants down if I try to put it in my pocket. For a while, I had my heart set on the Canon SD500, but now I hear that it's got some serious quality problems which I'm not too keen on. So now I'm back to square one.

Here's a list of things I'm looking for:

-5+ megapixels
-relatively compact
-decent sized LCD screen
-good movie mode - preferably mpeg, not time limited
-plenty of customization options, but also good for snapshots
-expandable memory

Basically, I'm just a kid that needs a nice camera for a variety of purposes. So it needs to be portable, reliable, and most of all, versatile. I don't need amazing pictures, but I want good ones that I'll enjoy looking at afterwards.

Also, the movie feature is a biggie. I really want to be able to make movies and put them on my computer, and not be limited by a 30 second, 5 minute, or 15 minute timer. I want to be able to load the thing with as much memory as I want to, and if the feeling hits me, make a clip that takes up every kilobyte of the space.

So, I know those are some pretty steep guidelines, and I'm not expecting them all to be filled to a T, but if anyone can find me the perfect camera, you guys can!

Thanks in advance!

mealbaffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 11, 2005, 11:27 AM   #2

mealbaffler wrote:
Quote:
I use this site and read these forums a lot, so first of all a thanks for everyone who's provided so much information here.

Anyways, I've been looking for a nice, compact camera that will take good solid pictures, but also not pull my pants down if I try to put it in my pocket. For a while, I had my heart set on the Canon SD500, but now I hear that it's got some serious quality problems which I'm not too keen on. So now I'm back to square one.

Here's a list of things I'm looking for:

-5+ megapixels
-relatively compact
-decent sized LCD screen
-good movie mode - preferably mpeg, not time limited
-plenty of customization options, but also good for snapshots
-expandable memory

Basically, I'm just a kid that needs a nice camera for a variety of purposes. So it needs to be portable, reliable, and most of all, versatile. I don't need amazing pictures, but I want good ones that I'll enjoy looking at afterwards.

Also, the movie feature is a biggie. I really want to be able to make movies and put them on my computer, and not be limited by a 30 second, 5 minute, or 15 minute timer. I want to be able to load the thing with as much memory as I want to, and if the feeling hits me, make a clip that takes up every kilobyte of the space.

So, I know those are some pretty steep guidelines, and I'm not expecting them all to be filled to a T, but if anyone can find me the perfect camera, you guys can!

Thanks in advance!

Look into Kodak V550, Panasonic FX8,9, Olympus 800,Casio z750.

Out of cameras above I own Kodak one, and I can tell you that it meets most of your demands. It's gotfew manual controls but 23 scene modes, takes great pictures, portable, the movie mode on this ultra-compact is superrior with anti-shake DSP, records MPEG-4 in MOV format until the card is full. Huge resolution (270K) 2.5" LCD that looks great in both bright light and darkness. Great quality lens. As to expandable memory, I mean it takes SD cards, they have SD cards up to 2 gigs now, and that should be plenty for most of what you want.

Panasonic cameras are known to take great pics. It's got optical image stabilization, and that's the main advantage in front of other cameras.

Olympus 800 is a nice little all weather package with great LCD screen, great quality pics and movies, and full set of manual controls. There are not a lot of pro reviews of it yet, and honestly I don't know a lot of people on here that own one.

Casio z750 is great little package with full manual controls and awesome movie mode, however read on "lens error" before making any decisions.

Out of above listed cameras only Kodak is 5mp, others are more. Hope this helps you jump start somewhat.
c0mrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 10:48 PM   #3

The Fuji Finepix S7000 and S9000 have awesome movie modes and great cameras too.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 11:06 PM   #4

Hi mealbaffler:
Based on your comments, you should add one more to your list: The Olympus C5500. Unlimited movies at either 15 or 30 fps, with sound; 5MP with 5x optical zoom, both auto and manual controls, excellent photo quality, a compact size, both LCD and a viewfinder, uses AA batteries, and all this at around $200 street price.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 7:03 PM   #5

thanks for the advice guys, bumping this to get some additional input
mealbaffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 8:52 PM   #6

You didn't mention a price range so I'm assuming you're Richie Rich :-) Casio has the newest video technology - check out the Z750 or S500 ... Z750 will give you manual controls and better image quality but the S500 is much thinner. I still would recommend the SD500 as things tend to get "overblown" via internet. The Casios have MPEG4 which mean you can record 4x video in the same card but the quality of the Canon video will be superior but you will need a 2 GB card to capture same amount of video as 512MB
kimnicho is offline   Reply With Quote