Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: Which one will you buy?
Casio Z500 0 0%
Casio S500 1 25.00%
Canon SD500 1 25.00%
Panansonic FX9 1 25.00%
Sony T5 1 25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 11, 2005, 4:52 AM   #1

Casio S500 vs Z500 vs Canon SD 500 vs Panasonic FX9 vs Sony T5?

Which one should I choose?

I have friend living in Japan, so I can get the Z500. Heard that casio DSP doesn't really works that well and their flash takes long time to re-heat.

If I miss something I shold consider,.. please let me know. Cheers! Please vote!
hohohong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 11, 2005, 10:18 AM   #2

hohohong wrote:
Quote:
Casio S500 vs Z500 vs Canon SD 500 vs Panasonic FX9 vs Sony T5?

Which one should I choose?

I have friend living in Japan, so I can get the Z500. Heard that casio DSP doesn't really works that well and their flash takes long time to re-heat.

If I miss something I shold consider,.. please let me know. Cheers! Please vote!
Have you looked into Kodak V550?
c0mrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 4:11 PM   #3

The Sony T5 is a poor choice unless all of you shooting will be outdoors. It has a pitifully weak flash and is a little over a half-stop slower at wide for available light. It isn't a good indoor camera.

Steve didn't like the photo quality of the Casio S500. I would want to see some reviews of the Z500 to be sure it isn't the same photo system with a bigger battery and LCD. They do have the advantage of MPEG4 movies, so you can put four times as much on a card. And the past movie mode is great.

The FX9 looks to be a nice camera. I would wait for some reviews though. It has a high resolution LCD and hopefully Panasonic has learned to brighten it properly in low light – something they have had problems with.

The SD500 is the only camera you listed with an optical viewfinder. The best LCDs are hard to see in bright sunlight and it is hard to follow action zoomed out. And the holding position out in front of you isn't as stable in limited light. In the dpreview conclusions on the FX7 the reviewer felt the stabilization just about made up for the unsteady hold. That is maybe overstated, but it is a factor. I'm not a big fan of LCD only cameras, but they seem to be improving them and stabilization helps a lot. The SD500 is an all round competent camera and would be my choice because of the optical finder.

The Fuji F10 is also a point and shoot with no optical finder. Rather than stabilization it uses high ISO to capture available light shots. Stabilization doesn't help at all for subject motion – just hand shake. The F10 might be better at a party.

I also like the Kodak V550. It has MPEG4 movies and an extremely good LCD. It also has an optical finder.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 11:09 PM   #4

I can say the Casio EX-S500 is worth it. I've had it for about a week. I really like mine. I had a Z750 and lens error problems. I returned that and bought this.

Superb little camera. I put together some sample images and wrote up a little review.

http://www.redhouseon7th.com/reviews/s500/

I am just a snapshot shooter. This is the perfect camera for me. The size, the images, everything is just right.

Give it a read and see what you think.

-Mike
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 12:03 AM   #5

slipe wrote:
Quote:

Steve didn't like the photo quality of the Casio S500.

when did steve review the casio S500?!
do you have a link?
cheaplikeafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 1:20 AM   #6

It wasn't steve, the review was posted on dcresource.com
Old Aug 12, 2005, 1:20 AM   #7

It wasn't steve, the review was posted on dcresource.com
Old Aug 12, 2005, 2:16 AM   #8

Thanks for all the replies. Sony's out of the selection. I looked at one of your comments about Kodak V550. That looks pretty good. I'm waiting a few more weeks to see Panasonic new FX9.

Shooting at low light condition is vital to me. Otherwise I would have just use my K750 cell phone. :lol:
hohohong is offline   Reply With Quote