Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 11, 2005, 2:37 PM   #1

Hey guys,

I've been searching the internet high and low to try to answer this question, but no one seems to give much of an opinion on which camera is better to purchase, a dimage a200 or an a2.

I'm primarily looking for a camera that can take great scenic photographs, with good colour depth (ie does a great job at not under/over-exposing parts of images) with low image noise. Which of the sensors for these two cameras would do a better job at that? (I remember reviewing that the a200 has a newer generation 8.0 megapixel ccd)

I'm pretty sure that one of these cameras is exactly what I want in terms of a digi camera, but they are so closely related that the differences make it hard to choose between the two (being that i can find the a2 for approx $100 cheaper then the a200) Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
fernando.valle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 11, 2005, 4:16 PM   #2

The A200 and A2 use the exactly same 8Mpixel Sony CCD.

The main differences is that the A200:

- Uses a newer image processor (CxProcess III, instead of A2 CxProcess II)
- Doesn't have time lapse photography
- No support for wireless flash
- no PC sync socket
- Swivel/tilt LCD
- Lacks the EVF from A2 (A2 has 1Mpixel EVF)
- no tilt EVF
- Uses NP-800 battery, and not the NP-400
- Rounder design

These are the biggest differences. If I had the option, I'd go for a good A2. Not that my A200 is bad, but the A2 does have a lot of useable features the A200 lacks.

Main gripe with the A2 was the lack of QC, meaning a lot of A2's had some problems.

Particle_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 4:56 PM   #3

thanks for the quick response

i have a few follow-up questions:

1 - How useful do you find the swivel lcd? Would you miss it if you bought a camera that didn't have one?

2 - Does the dimage a200's newer image processor impact the image quality/focus speed significantly? I read somewhere that the a2 actually had a faster picture-to-picture cycle then that of the a200's. What would be your input in this area?

*edit*

3 - how good is the movie mode on the a2? i've seen videos of it, but i'm not a good judge for quality in movies. Is the a200 better for this?
Old Aug 12, 2005, 2:26 PM   #4

i have a few follow-up questions:

1 - Probably not. Although it's a nice feature to have when shooting things very low/high, I find myself using the EVF a lot more. I guess that's down to personal preference.

2 - Sadly, I've not had the pleasure of handling the A2, although I've heard that the focusing on the A2 is supposedly a lot faster. shot to shot cycling is rather limited on both these cameras, with a very low image buffer, and long write times.

3 - Both the A2 and A200 has rather nice movie mode, but there's a problem with it as well. The audio sync lags behind the actual movie. This can be corrected using programs and such, but I find the whole ordeal rather annoying.
Particle_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2005, 10:49 AM   #5

wow thanks for all the info You've just helped me purchase an dimage a2 When I receive it, I will tell you how good a match it is

Thanks alot