Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 12, 2005, 12:33 AM   #1

Hi all,
Great forum you have here!!! First a little about myself...I am NOT a photographer, I am a picture taker My skills are quite far from what I have seen here:sad: I take 99% of my pictures in good light. Mostly outdoors and of "things" as apposed to people. You can visit my picture page here:
http://www.pbase.com/cleanmaxx_brian
In the past, I have had a Canon S10 and thought it was great! Then I went on to a S400 and it is much better. Smaller and takes better pictures. Being small was most important for me as I carry a camera at ALL times! Between these 2 cameras, I have taken around 6,000 pictures. I have a 1 gig, and a 256 compact flash cards at the present time. I plan to keep my S400 But now I am looking for that next level and I want ZOOM!!! My wife has a Minolta Maxxum 7000 35mm from 1986 or so with a Sigma 28-80mm 1:3.5-5.6 macro lens and a Minolta 80-200mm 1:4.5 (22)-5.6 zoom lens. She also has a Sunpak auto 433AF flash. She has said I could use anything of hers as she does not use it anymore. (She is now a point and shoot user and does not want to carry big cameras!) I have been all over this forum as well as DP Review so I have narrowed it down a bit. My choices are, in no peticular order:

Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D and use the wifes lenses. My fears with this set up is the bulk! How good are my wifes lenses???? The worry of keeping the CCD clean! Plus knowing it may not be as good as the Canon? Pros include: uses my current memory cards, and I have the lenses already.

Canon EOS 350D / Digital Rebel XT I would buy body only and a Sigma 28-200mm lens. I have a co worker with the Rebel before this one and he has spent $$$!!! on lenses, tripods, battery holder that goes under the body, bags, and memory... of course this is what he tells me I shoud buy! He is VERY happy with all of his gear! Very nice but more money that I really want to spend.

Panasonic DMC-FZ30 Probably my favorite of the bunch. My friend has a FZ 20 and LOVES it! Enough manual controls to shoot 99% of what I want pictures of. I know this camera will be a little more noisy especially at low light than that of the DSLR's but I have read Noise Ninja does wonders! Plus I shoot outside during the day. No worries about dust and switching lenses. And this would be the smallest camera of the bunch. Can I use the wifes flash on this camera?

HELP!!!! I am not in a big hurry (cant be as the Pana is not even out yet!) but I want to make a wise choice.

Thank you in advanced!
Brian Chang
http://www.pbase.com/cleanmaxx_brian
Cleanmaxx Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2005, 1:58 AM   #2
Super Moderator

well, since portability is an issue, and you are looking to just take good pictures in daylight.. it sounds like the fz-30 or any other high end digicam will suit your needs better than a dslr..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 8:07 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply! You may be right...

Can anyone tell me if these old lenses and flashare any good?

Sigma 28-80mm 1:3.5-5.6 macro lens and a Minolta 80-200mm 1:4.5 (22)-5.6 zoom lensplus a Sunpak auto 433AF flash
Old Aug 12, 2005, 10:28 PM   #4

Well a pre order for $585.95 from a real dealer shure makes the FZ30 tempting!!!

http://www.computers4sure.com/produc...affid=10000483

Oh what to do:?
Old Aug 12, 2005, 11:09 PM   #5

Cleanmaxx Brian wrote:
Quote:
She also has a Sunpak auto 433AF flash.
Quote:
Can I use the wifes flash on this camera?

Yes, in manual (and manual partial power) and auto modes (if applicable) of the flash.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote