Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 12, 2005, 10:01 AM   #1

I'm looking for a 5-7mp with a good movie mode. Does the Casio Z750 or the Kodak V550 have a better movie mode? ALso, does the Kodak only record movies in MPEG?
brooklynzmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2005, 10:20 AM   #2

brooklynzmom wrote:
Quote:
I'm looking for a 5-7mp with a good movie mode. Does the Casio Z750 or the Kodak V550 have a better movie mode? ALso, does the Kodak only record movies in MPEG?
It's very arguable which movie mode is better. They both use MPEG-4 encoding, but Casio saves it as AVI whereas Kodak saves it as Quicktime MOV. Both using the same encoding means about the same movie quality. According to Steve Kodak camera has more grainy movies, which I didn't notice at all. Casio on the other hand suffers from ripple effect in some places. I just think that at 640X480 and 30fps there is just no visual difference, there's no way to see with naked eye. Also, Kodak has anti-shake DSP for movies, and ability to OPTICALLY zoom in during movies without muting the sound (which Samsung i5 does). For me personally, after comparing samples from both cameras carefully I liked Kodak better. Besides the infamous Casio z750 lens error problem scared me away, I just don't want to take any risks when I dump $400 on the camera.

Hope it helps.
c0mrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2005, 10:01 PM   #3

If both are mpeg-4, then the differentiations are:

- CCD 7MP vs 5MP
- Lens casio-home-made vs German Schneider

But in 640x480 mode, 7MP may not have any advantages at all.

So it turns to the lens, and traditional wisdom says German lens are usually higher-resolution and sharper.

Casio is a new comer to the lens industry (previously it OEM from Pentax or Canon).
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote