Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 12, 2005, 11:51 AM   #1

Hey guys just wanted to know your opinion about those two cameras....
the s5z seems very good but steve's review on it was far from nice though... It basically has all the features i want (although no optical viewfinder) plus it can act as a standalone video player from what i read so that's a nice little extra feature. The v550 seems perfect too except maybe for the size (a little larger than the s5z), the price and also because i don't think i can use it as a video player (not very important but still...)

But here's the catch: i bought a casio ex-z55 from newegg at 275$ and i want to return it and the only way i can get the 15% restocking fees waived is if i buy another camera from them that's more expensive... they have the s5z for 302$ and the v550 for 350$.
And i think 302$ for the s5z is really expensive (beachCameras has it for 256$), but 350$ is actually a good price for the v550.
Should i bust my budget and go for the v550 or just get the overpriced s5z ?
Thanks for helping !
earion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2005, 12:29 AM   #2

I just bought the v550, it's very small and the video quality it takes is superb (you can get 30mins on 1GB sd card)
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2005, 9:55 PM   #3

I would recommed 5z to small ladies, and v550 to gentlemen (for aesthetic and firm-grip reasons).

But feature/quality-wise I would recommend v550 to anyone wanting a small, above-avg picture quality, and convenient DV capability DC.

For video, both are mpg-4, but v550 is optical-zoomable video.
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2005, 12:44 AM   #4

One thing i don't understand is how the s5z seems to be reviewed as having bad image quality compared to the previous pentax optio models which seemed to have such a good picture quality (and same for the casios which use pentax lenses). I mean if the s5i was such a good camera, i just don't understand why the s5z seems to be such a failure.
Is the lcd really that bad, would you really miss an optical viewfinder ?

If anyone actually owns a s5z, please share your experience with us, i think it would be most interesting.
cheers !
Old Aug 14, 2005, 2:01 AM   #5

S5z sample images from Pentax Gallery, are NOT bad. But they were all under good day-light conditons.

Contrarily, I read a lot of positive comments about S5z that it is a real good improvement over S5i in terms of quality/reliability.

Maybe you just read some bad comments from people with prejudice against Pentax.

But from overall quality/features, I still recommend v550, unless SMALL SIZE is you 1st priority.
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2005, 1:42 PM   #6

Well steve's review wasn't very nice to the s5z, although the s5i was in his Best cameras list, that's what kinda confuses me. I like the very small size and the manual controls plus the portable video player "hack" is pretty appealing too :-)