Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: What camera should I buy?
Sony DSC-P200 2 50.00%
Sony DSC-W7 1 25.00%
Canon S70 0 0%
Other... 1 25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 14, 2005, 8:23 PM   #1

Hey guys. New round here you can probs tell by this being my first post. I am looking a for a decent digital camera, high res, able of recording videos, pocketable, good zoom. That's about it. So I have been browsing the reviews and that, and have come to the conclusion of either the Sony DSC-P200 or the W7. Both are very similar in spec, and probably the main difference is the shape, size and weight.

I am tempted by the DSC-P200 as I have read other reviews which have all been very favourable. But what's the main difference between the two, and if you were me, what one would you buy and why?

I was also looking at the Canon S70 but its a bit pricey for what it is, and isn't worth the extra cash for an increase in zoom of 0.6x and a reduction in the video lengths that can be recorded. I know Canon are quality, and only use quality lenses, meaning photos come out clearer, but that was on 35mm cameras a few years ago. I don't know if the same applies here.

Also, if anyone knows of anywhere cheap to get the high high speed memory stick (up to 800mbps) recording speed for cheap could you let me know please. I am looking at getting it off ebay, for $150 (1gb version which I think is a great deal).

Thanks for your help guys in advance. Shall be in and out for a while just seeing what you have to say!

Edit: Decided it's between the DSC-P200 and the Canon S500. Just what one! lol

Megalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2005, 6:59 AM   #2

Gone for the DSC-P200 over the W7 and the Canon SD500 (Ixus 700), simply because I believe the Sony producs sharper, more crisp images which I prefer. You can always play with colours in photoshop after for any u want to blow up to print for example.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 6:45 PM   #3

Good choice. The battery alone is worth it. You'll get 300 shots with one charge. I just bought one myself. I had a p100 last year and really liked it. I took the p100 on a cruise to alaska and didn't have to charge it for the entire week. Infolithium tells you exactly how much time you have left, unlike normal AA batteries.

As far as the memory stick goes, try pricegrabber.com to see if you can get for less than ebay. Keep in mind, memory stick DUO's are the latest thing for sony products. See if you can get a duo stick, they usually come with an adapter to fit in standard MS slots.
kenrippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2005, 4:57 AM   #4

Thanks for the advice Will bare it in mind. Just wanting my order to be confirmed now! I ordered it over 2 days ago (16th august, 9.30am and still not confirmed it). These high street chains aren't as good online as they are instore! But it did work out £40 cheaper