Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 15, 2005, 10:39 PM   #1

Was looking at these two cameras on dell home, and considering that the panasonic takes a 25% off coupon, and the casio doesn't, which would people recommend. Retail on casio is $449 ($385 after auto 15%). Retail on panasonic is $399 ($299 after 25% discount). Both can apply same additional coupons the way im ordering. What do you think, is casio worth $85 more? I was sold on the Casio, but being frugal, now I'm having second thoughts. Please convince me that the extra $$ is worth it or not.

Thanks in advance
killgoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 15, 2005, 10:48 PM   #2

Maybe I should add....

I will use the camera primarily for climbing, hiking, snowboarding and travel. I really like ultracompacts and tend to use them more than large better performing siblings. SOunds like the Panasonic is better for high speed shooting, but casio is much better video.

I like having manual controls, even if I only use them for the occasional night shot, etc.
killgoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 1:42 PM   #3

You probably would want Panasonic then, simply for reliability reasons. Casio's infamous "lens error" (you should read more on that to make decision) scared me away from buying it, as I was almost set on it. Panasonic takes GREAT pics simply because of its optical image stabilization, which would probably be great for your high speed picture taking. There are some other options you might consider, Fuji F10, Kodak V550, Casio s500 (yeah another casio). I myself own Kodak v550, and have filmed plenty of fast action since I bought it just for experiments, it handles it well, I love it, very rugged construction, all metal body, great little piece. Both steve and jeff over dcresource.com love it too. You also should consider an all weather Olympus 800, would be good for extreme conditions. Also, maybe check into Samsung Digimax i5 as well.
c0mrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2005, 11:40 AM   #4

killgoj wrote:
Quote:
Maybe I should add....

I will use the camera primarily for climbing, hiking, snowboarding and travel. I really like ultracompacts and tend to use them more than large better performing siblings. SOunds like the Panasonic is better for high speed shooting, but casio is much better video.

I like having manual controls, even if I only use them for the occasional night shot, etc.
Or did you mean Pana FX-8 or FX-9? (the more current models).

Be reminded I discovered some serious "rainbow ripples" artifact in z750 video when shooting densely black/white stripes. Look at how the man in prisoner's T-shirt becomes a rainbow superman (a snapshot of the video attached below):

Attached Images

big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote