Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 16, 2005, 5:28 PM   #1

my 14 yo daughter, bless her heart, is a disorganized disaster. as the saying goes, she would forget her head were not it bolted to her body. she is leaving for a trip to argentina, and wants to take a camera. knowing her, i don't want her to take my camera, the fz20 - its to big and costs to much $ for her. there are good deals on the fz1, but is it too big? to complicated? any suggestions would be appreciated
nacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2005, 6:36 PM   #2

nacha-

In the "about $200" category you have the Olympus C-5500. It is not the biggest speed demon but it offers 5mp and 5X optical zoom. It is certaily one of the better values out there. Here is a sample photo.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 7:10 PM   #3

Check out the Kodak DX7440, on sale right now for $199 at kodak.com.* Got mine Friday and like it a lot.* 16 scene modes, 4X zoom, big bright LCD.Good luck,Sam
samboh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 7:46 PM   #4

The C5500 is a bargain for the money; it's a good camera.

For a teenage girl, however, she might be more comfortable with the small, water-resistant Oly Verve S. It is 5MP with 15 automatic scene modes. It is considered a "cool" camera among teenagers because of it's unusual shape.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/verves.html
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 9:28 PM   #5

I asked the same question a few years ago (not in this forum), and the only response I received was from a self-righteous jerk who informed me that I should spend the money on a course in personal responsibility for my daughter. I understand his view, but he failed to understand that people do outgrow some things. My daughter is now a very responsible young woman in her 20s, and I'm very proud of her. And one of the ways she learned responsibility was by losing some things she valued, which were not immediately replaced.

Nacha, I think your daughter may be slightly less likely to lose a camera if she doesn't have to put it down anywhere. So I'd encourage you to consider small, pocketable cameras. Since you have an FZ20, have you considered the Panasonic DMC-LZ1? It would provide more zoom than most others of the same size, and you should be able to find it under $250. It does, however, require a fairly large pocket, but I think it's much smaller than the FZ1.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2005, 12:58 AM   #6

thanks to all who responded. i will check out all your recommendations.
nacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2005, 8:05 AM   #7

After doing the night-time photography for a lot of University parties I will swear by the Canon Powershot series. The one I was using was an old A40 and it survived everything thrown at it. Being dropped, dropped into drinks, being pushed, drinks thrown at it, low light photography. It was easy to carry and produced perfectly usable pictures.
Buceph is offline   Reply With Quote