Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 17, 2005, 1:51 PM   #1

I take a lot of pictures in low light (no flash) for dramatic shadows. I am looking for a digital camera below $500 that takes sharp pictures in low light. Also they should be decent at 8x10 inch size.
joquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2005, 2:49 PM   #2

Currently you have on the digital camera market two digital cameras capable of using ISO settings as high at ISO 1600. The Fuji F-10 is a 6.3mp 3X optical zoom camera that has virtually no manual controls, nor an optical viewfinder, but it produces excellent high ISO photos, with very little noise. It sells for less than $300 (US) on the internet.

The second camera is the Olympus Stylus 800. At ISO settings between 64 to 400, the Stylus 800 produces 8mp photos. At ISO settings of 800 and 1600 the resolution falls to around 4mp. The Stylus 800 has full manual controls, is water resistant, and has 3X optical zoom. It sells for less than $400 (US) on the internet.

Scheduled for an October introduction, we will have the new Fuji S-5200, which will use a slightly modified Fuji F-10 imager and the camera will be able to use ISO settings as high as ISO 1600. The camera will be 5mp with 10X optical zoom and it will be a successor to the S-5000 series that was started 2 1/2 years ago. It is scheduled to sell for $399(US).

I own and use both the Fuji F-10 and the Stylus 800, so if you have any questions, perhaps I can lend a hand.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2005, 3:19 PM   #3

Sarah, I think you are a walking digital camera encyclopedia. I have no money for digital camera purchases now, but if I did, I would ask your advice before buying.

robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2005, 4:04 PM   #4

Which camera is better at capturing true color? I have seen a lot where the picture comes out yellowed and the shadows too dark. Do either of the cameras come with histograms? How does 4mp look printed out on 8x10 paper?
joquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2005, 6:06 PM   #5

joquinn-

Yellow huesseem to becaused by selecting the incorrect white balance setting. Muddy shadowsseem to be causedcaused in incorrect exposure.

The Fuji F-10 has the ability to set a custom white balance. The Stylus 800 does have a histogram, but no custom white balance. The Fuji S-5200 is an unknown as it is not yet on the market.

Here is a F-10 sample photo.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Oct 21, 2005, 10:34 AM   #6

hi its great to have someone like u with so much knowledge on cameras. i wanted a more indepth review on Olympus mhu digital 800 as I am interested in buying it. It costs around $550 here in Kuwait. I am interested in a 8 MP camera cause i want to blow up the photographs of my new born, indoor photos so its Sensitivity is important as I read at 1600, the MP drops to 4MP, so two very important issues to me is indoor shots and clarity of photos so I can blow them up to maybe A3 size or slightly bigger.The Sony Cybershot DSC W 7 & Nikon Coolpix 7900 cost the same here. Which camera would you recommend between these three or any other that I should go for given my requirements. Thanks

jude_mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2005, 10:38 AM   #7

One more thing I wanted to add was the camera should be compact or ultra compact.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 11:19 AM   #8

Jude-

Unfortuantely the Olympus Stylus 800 has not done very well in the reviews at all. To get that fabled ISO 2500 setting Olympus messed with the "innards." The result are photos but they are not too pretty at times. I can honestly say that because I own a Stylus 800.

The Fuji F-10 which is also a compact digital camera is the better choice with 3X of optical zoom. If you need more zoom then take a look at the Fuji S-5200, but it is also a larger camera.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 21, 2005, 12:32 PM   #9

Hi Sarah, What do you mean by 'innards' that are messed up
Old Oct 21, 2005, 12:37 PM   #10

Jude-

Specifically what I mean is that the resulting photos seem to show strange artefacts. How these artefacts are produced has never been totally explained technically, all than can be assumed is that it is a proprietary Olympus design or modification.

However, the key issue remains that there are visually discerable artefacts visible in the photos which most reviewers has designated as a undesireable feature/reproduction.

Sarah Joyce