Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 17, 2005, 7:07 PM   #1

Hello all please someone help me....I have a canon Powershot A20 but im not happy with the pics it take and no AF.

I dont take action pics.I realy like taking micro shots.At insects and flowers.

I take pics of my two kids and my dogs.

MOstly still pics.

The biggest thing is micro shots close up shots.

Really dont care about one that takes movies but if it has it thats ok too.I was looking at the nikon 4800 sence you can take pics up to half inch away.Or the kodak 7590 both have good optical zoom......

So please im going to spend around $500 and want to get the best for the money....But i want to learn to take close up micro shots the most and take pics of the kids and dogs.........Please help...
john766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2005, 7:45 PM   #2

John, it's difficult to offer you advice, because it's not clear what the problem is. It may be that your A20 is broken. It should have AF, if you mean autofocus. It should be capable of macro shots as close as 10 inches at full zoom (6 inches at the wide end).

Can you say more about what makes you unhappy with the pictures you take with the A20?
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2005, 7:58 PM   #3

John-

Why not hold off a bit and wait for two new digital cameras coming next month from Kodak. They are the P-850 and the P-880, and both are long zoom digital cameras. More info is available at www.kodak.com.

Those two, soon to be released digital cameras, will be an improvement over the Kodak DX-7590, and are most probably worth the wait.

If you can do with a bit less zoom, one of the biggest bangs for the bux, is the Olympus C-5500, a 5X optical zoom, 5mp digital camera with full manual features and video clips, and best of all (to some folks looking for a digital camera right now) it is selling on the internet for right around $200 (US). The C-5500 will give you very close zoom and turns out great photos.

I have attached a sample photo from the Olympus C-5500.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2005, 8:05 PM   #4

Rob my a20 is a ok camera.It just dont take good micro shots.

Ive tried everything i can think of to make it take good pics.

With zoom the pics look grany real bad.

im not expert or anything it could just be the camera.But i have tried everything with it.....

And the pic of the bird is nice.......
Old Aug 17, 2005, 8:27 PM   #5

Wah~You must be a super fans of Canon~Is A20 a original one of A series?Older than A30 and A40?

My suggestion is~You may try some new one~4800 and 7590 is a bitold~

Want more fashion?~Panasonic FZ5 and Canon S2ISboth are very good cam.

You may found their Professional reviewson Dpreview.com

They bestgot the highest rating =>Highly Recommended
Adun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2005, 9:29 PM   #6

John, this is just a guess, but I think part of your problem is that you have digital zoom turned on. If you can turn it off, you will probably see an immediate improvement in your pictures. Of course, you will not be able to zoom in as much! But the images will be much clearer.

I think you would enjoy a camera with more zoom range. Be sure it has good optical zoom. Optical zoom is real zoom, done entirely with the lens. Digital zoom is a sort of trick cameras use to give the effect of more zoom, but with less quality.

You should be aware, too, that when you do macro photography, zoom is not a substitute for getting close to your subject. As you zoom in, the near-focusing limit of your lens moves further away, so you must back away from your subject as you zoom in. As I mentioned, your A20 can focus as close as 6 inches when it's zoomed out all the way. It cannot focus closer that 10 inches when it's zoomed in. Some cameras with ultra-zoom lenses (10x or greater) cannot get closer than 30 inches or more at the telephoto end. The best zoom setting for macrophotography is usually near the wide end of the range.

Sorry, but I cannot make any specific recommendations, because I don't do a lot of macro shots, so I have not studied what's available. You will have to do some research. You will want to pay attention to specifications for zoom range and the focus range at different zoom settings.

You should probably also consider flash performance, for photos of kids and dogs. You should be able to find all this information in the reviews here at Steve's and on other sites, as well.

Good luck to you!
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2005, 10:41 PM   #7

Well if I can add my 2 cents, I have a canon G2 which is spectacular at still shots and sux at the kids shots, AF too slow, so I picked up a Panasonic FZ5 and WOW, it does it all, the best cam I'v ever owned hands down.

Here are some picks with the FZ5 http://www.lucanus.ca/pics/

Duke107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2005, 10:42 PM   #8

Sorry link is http://www.lucanus.ca/pic/

Duke107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2005, 5:48 PM   #9

Take a look at the new P880 and P850 from Kodak. A little more money but a lot more features.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/ko...0-p850_pr.html

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2005, 7:38 PM   #10

Hello all thanks for youre advice...I have

been looking at the canon s2 and i think it could be the one.

Anybody have or heard anything bad about it...thanks everyone.