Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 7, 2005, 9:55 AM   #11

Canon is not dropping the 1.6 crop sensor cameras. The 5d is positioned between the 1d series and the 20d/350d. It is listng at 4300$cdn:?, so it also costs 2.5x a 20D (currently about 1700$cdn)
In the Canon lineup is seems to be placed about where the old film based EOS 3 used to be.

The EF-s lens mount physically cannot mount to a full frame camera, unless a safety ring is cut off the lens:!:. And if this ring is removed and the lens is mounted to a full frame camera it will destroy the mirror :-) as it protrudes much farther into the body than a normal EF lens.

Peter.

gaul wrote:
Quote:
I was referring to the Canon EOS 5D:

I am therefore not sure it's wise to invest in a 350D or 20D and new lenses if Canon cannot decide on which type of lenses to use. They just kill themain advantage of a dSLR - its upgrade potential - by introducing a new camera with a "full-frame" sensor after having promoted sensors with a 1.5 factor for years.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2005, 10:16 AM   #12

It also seems that dSLR prices are still very high.

I bought my Canon EOS 500N (28-80 + 75-300 Canon) in 2000 for < $600

Body alone was < $300

gaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2005, 10:26 AM   #13

I agree:!:

I have felt that the price of DSLR's is being kept artificailly high, by maybe a factor of 3x.
Espeically when you compare them to other "hi-tech" things like PC's which keep getting bigger, faster and cheaper.
Dslr, are getting the bigger and faster part, but they are maintaing price, and even getting more expensive if anything.

Peter.
Old Sep 10, 2005, 5:26 AM   #14

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
Canon is not dropping the 1.6 crop sensor cameras.
Not ... yet???

It still puts a doubt in mind of basic amateurs like me who were originally sold the 'expandability' of lenses... within 1 single Canon format...

I think I will keep my Canon EOS 500N and its 2 lenses for now, which won't prevent me from buying a 3rd camera, certainly a bridge, maybe the Fuji S9000 with the same range as my Film reflex 28-300 mm

Another reason I think I won't go to dSLR is that I sometimes take my camera while mountaining, skiing... and that I always wasfrustrated with my reflex to have to take only 1 lens to gain weight.

gaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2005, 6:41 AM   #15

I also agree on the pricing issue, prices of DSLRs kept coming down until sales started going up, then the prices stabilized. Now the companies are actually producing cameras with less content at almost the same price (examples are the Pentax *istDL and the Nikon D50). That is why I am now waiting to see if there will be a rationalization of pricing with the "consumer grade" DSLRs falling to the $500 list price range they should belong in. Some will argue about the cost of the technology, but, other than the sensors (which Sony is making a bundle on for supplying almost everyone except Canon) the rest of the electronics already exists in so many modern devices that are dirt cheap. It is interesting that the companies like Olympus and Canon, who do not source their DSLR chips from Sony, (Olympus uses Kodak, Canon produce their own) have the most aggressive pricing on their entry level models, both offering higher resolution at the same price point.

I doubt if I will get any agreement on this but lets face it, the DSLR is in many ways a simpler device than the EVF models and uses a lot of older technology right off the shelf. They have more mechanical parts, which are more likely to wear out and fail than electronics, and much of their performance advantage (such as buffering and write times) is probably because of their relative simplicity, the processor does not have to run a live feed to an EVF or LCD so it is not as busy.

If you have good Canon lenses get a Canon DSLR, If you have goodNikon lenses get aNikon DSLR, If you have goodPentax lenses get aPentax DSLR, yada yada yada..... If you have no lenses, then start looking at the new breed of EVF camera, they offer near DSLR performance in many of the important areas and a higher degree of diversity in specifications and form factor, all for a price which is inclusive.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2005, 7:05 AM   #16

Gaul,

I´ve been down the same road. Had an EOS 50 + 50 E with a couple of lenses, got myself a small digital, exchanged the SLR´s for a (then) state-of-the-art digital bridge camera (KoMi A2), and finally got myself an EOS 10D with a couple of lenses. (the digi-walkaround-cam still stays).

Ciao, Wolfie

wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2005, 4:26 PM   #17

:blah:That is exactly why I refuse to believe in the EF-s type lens lines the manfacturers have come up with. All my lenses can fit any camera from 1.6 crop to full frame.

My cameras come with me when I go kayaking, hiking, snowshoeing or on x-country ski. My current day-trip backpack weighs in at just under 25 pounds with only camera equipment, not including tripod & food. Though for longer over night trips I'll just take one body with 2 lenses, 1 TC and a mono-pod. Use the rest of the space for spare cloths, tent and other usefull things like a food flamer

If it has turned back with smoke comming off it, it must be cooked.. Peter..

gaul wrote:
Quote:
PeterP wrote:
Quote:
Canon is not dropping the 1.6 crop sensor cameras.
Not ... yet???

It still puts a doubt in mind of basic amateurs like me who were originally sold the 'expandability' of lenses... within 1 single Canon format...

I think I will keep my Canon EOS 500N and its 2 lenses for now, which won't prevent me from buying a 3rd camera, certainly a bridge, maybe the Fuji S9000 with the same range as my Film reflex 28-300 mm

Another reason I think I won't go to dSLR is that I sometimes take my camera while mountaining, skiing... and that I always wasfrustrated with my reflex to have to take only 1 lens to gain weight.