Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 18, 2005, 2:50 PM   #1

I'm really hardpressed right now between choosing either the Casio S500 or the Kodak V550. I like the small portability of the Casio, but I read so much more better things coming out of the Kodak. Please, i need some help deciding. Price is not that much of an issue here. I want both good photo quality and video quality. I'm just stop and shoot photographer who wants to capture some memorable moments in life.
kpxjasperxbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 18, 2005, 6:15 PM   #2

There is no Casio s500. Maybe you mean the Canon S500. Both it and the Kodak are good cameras.
BruceMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2005, 8:27 PM   #3

There is Casio Exilim S500.

DC model names always overlap. Afterall they are just [a-z][1-999].
(but an interesting symmetry is: Caso z750 vs Pentax 750z)

"...much more better things coming out of the Kodak..."

Did you mean newer DC models from Kodak than v550? It's the latest card-sized AFAIK. Someone is waiting for EasyShareOne, but I doubt very much it will be released or NOT. (Announcing the features for almost half a yr, w/o ever producing a prototype, is unacceptable to consumers).

So you may set your minde on v550 to compare w/ s500 at the moment.

- not much comment btwn still pics of v550 & s500. I haven't seen many s500 sample pics yet.

- v550 video can optical zoom, while s500 cannot

- Casio seems to have "filtered out" some noise of the video to make the subject more "smooth" but resulting in loss of details. While v550 retaining the details, maybe perceived as "noisey" or "grainy".

- not sure if applied to s500 or not, earlier z750 had "rainbow-ripples" artifact in shooting video of intense black/white stripes (I may post a snapshot of the problem sample video here, if you want).

- battery & size s500 are much better. But v550 battery short life is a price to pay for the crystal-clear 230000-pixel 2.5" LCD.
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 1:45 AM   #4

Even I am torn between both.. but I guess ultimately I will go for Casio. I saw Casio at Circuitcity and Kodak at Fry's.. boy!!! Casio is a pure piece of art.. a thing of beauty is a joy forever.. like one of those timeless sculptures in some ancient Indian Temple.. digital zoom is great.. but kodak is just another camera not a face in the crowd.
swastikam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 2:08 AM   #5

Are you sure?

You may look at the middle rainbow-ripple man (NOT the LHS blue/black one). He was originally in densely black/white stripes t-shirt. This is a snapshot of the z750 video.

Pls try to take some video of your S500 of black/white stripes and let us know the results.

Attached Images

Old Aug 19, 2005, 8:25 AM   #6
EDD

big_potato wrote:
Quote:
- v550 video can optical zoom, while s500 cannot

- not sure if applied to s500 or not, earlier z750 had "rainbow-ripples" artifact in shooting video of intense black/white stripes (I may post a snapshot of the problem sample video here, if you want).
The Exilim S500 has 3x optical zoom.

That rainbow ripples atifact is on some of the most expensive camera on the planet. I've seen this effect many times on TV. It's so rare it's not worth worrying about IMHO.

NO ONE can match the thin .6 mm camera body size of the Exilim so this makes it practicle to carry with you 100 % of the time, any where you go.
EDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 9:54 AM   #7

Sorry if I didn't write clear enough:

I said S500 cannot *****OPTICALLY_ZOOM_DURING_VIDEO*****.

I was NOT talking about optical zoom for STILL PICTURES.
(nowadays DC's without 3X+ optical zoom for still pictures, will be out of the market before it is released).

The rainbow ripples effect I first noticed for z750, is also in *****CASIO_OWN_GALLERY******:
http://world.casio.com/exilim/en/ex_...y/CIMG4118.AVI
Notice the middle of the windmill body.

I tried very hard to repeat the effects (sometimes funny) on my Canon S50, Ixus30, Pentax Optio 430RS, Kodak V550 and Sony HandyCam DV's, by even shooting more densely black/white stripes w/o success. So I suspect a lens problem of the z750 (purple fringing or chromatic aberration ...???).

Pls name to me, those "most expensive DC on the planet" that have the problem. So that other readers and me on these forums can avoid them.

So I don't see the problem is a kind of rare, but a norm for z750.

So I am interested to know if Casio has fixed it in S500.

Old Aug 21, 2005, 1:24 AM   #8

Perhaps the Casiotechsupport can explain that funny rainbow tinge, anyway great special effect one must say :-) I hope Steve reviews the S500 soon!
Old Aug 21, 2005, 1:29 AM   #9

BTW, Samsung i5 seems a comparable model, but again that LCD cracking problem like Canon SDs!
Old Aug 24, 2005, 12:29 PM   #10

big_potato can You tell me something about Kodak C360 mand Kodak F455 ?
I'd like a compact camera qith an average image quality without pay so much as for the Kodak V550...
Are there other cameras that I could consider ?

Many thanks
Takeshi is offline   Reply With Quote