Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 19, 2005, 12:39 AM   #1

I just purchased a casio z750 locally with a 30 return option. Nice package, great video option for the times you want to capture a short clip, but I'm not real happy with some of the skin tones on pictures. There seems to be some pixelation, artifiacts, especially indoors. NOt sure if this is because I"m looking at full view (100%) of the 7mp mode.I since noticed the Olympus 800, but it is not available locally for me to examine. It's larger, but still smaller than my now dying canon powershot s30. Will I notice the same type of issue with the Olympus. or any other high-res Digicam? I believe that Casio uses a SONY sensor. I was very hesitant about the Casio, but all the reviewers seem to love it, and the features are unbeatable. Has anyone compared these 2 heads up. If not for the size, 15fps , and unavailability, I would probably choose the olympus, but not sure if I should return the Casio and order the olympus online site unseen. HELP!
larrytr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2005, 12:13 PM   #2

Larry-

I own both the Fuji F-10 and the Olympus Stylus 800. Keep in mind that neither of these digital cameras has an optical viewfinder. If you need manual controls the Stylus 800 is the way to go, but in all fairness it is not with out its faults, such as reducing the resolution to around 4mp when used at ISO 800 and 1600.

In contrast, the Fuji F-10 has very few controls and is mostly a point and shoot digital camera that produces 6.3mp photos throughout its ISO range up to ISO 1600.

Already out is the FujiS-9000 which is 9mps, lot of zoom and manual controls and able to use up to ISO 1600. It is certainly not as small as the Casio 750Z, the Fuji F-10, or the Stylus 800, but you might want to take a look.

Here is a Fuji F-10 sample photo.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2005, 1:44 PM   #3

My previous camera, prior to 2 dead pixels on the sensor,was a canon powershot. THough only 3.2 mp, I was very happy with the quality and the prints. When I drop the resolution on the casio to 3mp, I get similar looking photos. The FUJI won't work for me because I really like the manual controls, mainly the shutter priority for fire-works, nite-shots, etc. I have some great pix from disney, cinderellas castle and the fireworks that were only possibly with the shutter control(on the canon). I can do without the optical viewfinder(olympus), though I'm not as happy about the 15 fps on the olympus video mode. Curious if I will see smiliar graininess at 100% view when using 8mb mode.
larrytr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2005, 2:26 PM   #4

In Internet Explorer go Tools>Internet options>Advanced and uncheck "Enable automatic image resizing". Go to Steve's sample photos and look at the same scenes from both the Z750 and Stylus 800. It is much better to make up your own mind – everyone has their own preferences.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote