Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 19, 2005, 11:58 AM   #1

Hi everyone !

First of all , GOOD job on this website it is really usefull and had some good tips on buying my first camera.

The camera i have rightnow (for like 5 months) is the HP R707 (5MP,3xopt.).

It`s a nice camera with some high quality images but i`m looking for a camera which is faster . I know the Kodak Z740 is faster then what i have now but that`s the only camera which i tried.

I don`t know how you can see within the specs of a camera how fast it is (i mean the time between taking the foto`s and write it to the card).

Any advice would be appreciated, my budget is around € 350,00 - € 400,00 max

Regards,

Robin.
redox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2005, 12:11 PM   #2

i also saw the Fuji S5500 , is their someone who have experience with this one (or comparing to the Kodak Z740)
Old Aug 19, 2005, 5:01 PM   #3

ok to make things easier.....does anyone have experience with the Kodak Z7590 ?

Is it a good buy if you want a camera which is fast with shot-shot and startup time?

I am not an experienced user with camera`s and learning about the technical things about a camera but i find it very interesting and want to make a good buy with this one.

cheers.

Robin
Old Aug 19, 2005, 5:23 PM   #4

There are a lot of different times to consider when evaluating a camera's "speed". Some may not matter to you...some may mean a lot to you, depending on the type of photography you are interested in. The best way to determine the speed is not to look at specs, but read professional reviews which provide the information you seek.

I think you would find the Z740 even slower than your current camera. The start-up time is about a second faster (2.8 vs. 3.8 seconds), the cycle times (shot to shot) are slower (2.93 seconds vs. 1.77 seconds) for the first two shots, then 7.5 seconds between shots (vs. 6.5 seconds for the HP after 4 shots), with a 27 second delay to clear the buffer. The Fuji is no speed demon, with a start-up time of 3.7 seconds, but the cycle time is a consistant 1.94 seconds, since it doesn't have to clear a buffer between shots.

The 7590 is the worst of the lot, with a cycle time of 3.6 seconds for the first two shots, then slowing to 8.9 seconds per shot thereafter.

If you can wait until October, the new Fuji S5200/5600 is supposed to have a start-up time of 1.1 seconds and a pre-focus shutter lag of 0.01 seconds, which is very very fast. No idea what the cycle times will be, since no reviews are available yet.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 5:41 PM   #5

thank you so much ! but why fuji? are you mistaking it with Kodak?

Never the less it sounds interesting the one which comes in october.

If you have an advice of an other camera within my budget which is very fast please tell me.

cheers,

Robin.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 6:01 PM   #6

The Fuji I was referring to was the one you mentioned in your second post, the S5100/5500. I should have referred to the model number in my post. The reason I mentioned the S5200/5600, was that as long as you were considering the S5500, you might want to consider the S5600. I own the S5100, and really like it. However, the new S5200 is really tempting, especially because of higher ISO sensitivity and speed. Maybe I'll sell my S5100 and buy the S5200...who knows?

Other than speed, you really haven't given us any criteria for helping you with a camera selection. I don't imagine you would like to purchase a really fast camera that takes poor pictures, would you? What type of photography are you interested in? What features do you really need?

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 7:21 PM   #7

Imaging resource has a page like this for every camera they test. It is either under "Picky details" or one of the choices from the drop down menu. http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/Z740/Z740DATA.HTM

The Z740 is quite fast if you leave it in continuous focus. Most cameras don't gain much from continuous focus for full autofocus, but the Kodak is 0.319 at all focal lengths, which is very fast at full zoom and faster than most at wide angle. It is almost 3 times as fast as the fuji 5100 as an example. It is more than 3 times as fast as the Fuji continuous focus.

I use all of my cameras in continuous focus. You can pre-focus on something and the camera continues to update the focus if the target moves. With pre-focus you have less than a tenth of a second lag. Even if you don't pre-focus, continuous focus is a real advantage on the Z740 because it appreciably reduces your full autofocus shutter lag. It doesn't work that way with most cameras.

Continuous focus uses more battery power. With some cameras it is appreciable and with others there isn't very much more power use. None of the reviewers bother to test the effectiveness or power use of continuous focus, but it is a good feature.

Since the Z740 uses AA batteries it wouldn't be very expensive to get a spare set. Dave says you will get two hours on a pair of 2500 mAh batteries.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote