Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 19, 2005, 4:24 PM   #1

I thought I was ready to buy my first digital camera and was going to buy a Fuji Finepix A345. Now I'm thinking about the Canon A 510. It has a 4x optical zoom. Does anyone have any thoughts about either camera. I have never used one but have seen both of these in Walmart. The Canon seems as though it would have a better grip, although it is bigger. Also, how important are the LCD protector sheets? Does the LCD screen scratch very easily? Thanks in advance for any info. Mcflosser
mcflosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2005, 7:10 PM   #2

mcflosser-

Although you have mentioned nothing about your budget, can we assume that it is around $200 (US)? Then if you could tell us a bit more about what kind of photo you are going to be taking, it would sure make helping you a good deal easier. Thanks!

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 9:31 PM   #3

I think my budget is no more than $200. I will mostly be taking photos of family and friends at family gatherings.
Old Aug 20, 2005, 9:46 AM   #4

mcflosser-

You might want to take a look at the Olympus C-5500 which is now selling on the internet here in the USA for right around $200 (US). It is a 5mp, 5X optical zoom digital camera that has full manual controls and even uses four AA batteries as well.

I have attached a C-5500 sample photo for you.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Aug 20, 2005, 7:00 PM   #5

Thanks for the info. What is your opinion of the fujifilm finepix 345?? I guess I do like the price on that one. I will need to buy a battery charger , case and a large memory card, so I think my budget has been lowered to include all those items. I thought I would use it for a few years, and if I really enjoy the digital world, then I would upgrade. Thanks for your help. Mcflosser
Old Aug 20, 2005, 9:34 PM   #6

I just noticed on eBay new Minolta Z10's with 1 year warranty for $170 including shipping. You can picked up a 256MB memory card on the internet for $20 and batteries/charger at Wal-Mart for $10.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2005, 10:38 AM   #7

I hope that I am not ruffling any feathers. However, both the K-M Z-10 and the Fuji A-345 are whatare referred to, within the camera industry, as "price cameras." They are inexpensive, very average digital cameras.

They will make snapshooters quite pleased with their photos taken under good lighting conditions (mid day) and with slow action. The are average digital cameras. If price is indeed a real consideration, then consider these digital cameras, they offer value for what they do under rather limited photo situations.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 23, 2005, 5:57 PM   #8

thank you for your input