Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 20, 2005, 11:59 AM   #1

I have a BIG dilemma, maybe your knowledge can help me out!!!

Do I now buy a 20D + grip, or should I still wait another year for the new body and now buy a 24-70L...
I'm worried sick the past 2 weeks.

If I buy an L lens, will I be busy with photography so fanatic in the next years as I am now? From next year on, my 2 and most hard years at the university begin, afterwards maybe even less time becaus I will join the army or go to work.

Sometimes I really hate my 300D because: I have 3 scratches on the CMOS sensor (visible from F16.0 and up); when shooting at continues it's way to slow and the buffer only holds 4 pics; no choise in lightmetering (and I do much more than spotting, so sometimes it realy sucks, also see my website).
But sometimes is it not terrible, sometimes I can still wait another year, sometimes I cannot wait for upgrade to happen.

Or do I now buy the 20D+grip; and a Sigma, Tokina or Tamron F2.8. I have seen in the meantime probable already 50 reviews and testpics of each lens.

Tamron 28-75 F2.8: clearly to trust the most and is the best, only I still have serious doubts about the construction, certainly compared to the Sigma and Tokina. And admit it, the other lenses look a lot tougher :-)
Sigma 24-70 F2.8: if you have a good one, no complaints. Lots receive a bad one: way too soft over the whole range.
Tokina 28-80 F2.8: minimal focus distance 80cm, to far away compared to the 13 cm of Tamron. If you receive a good one, no real complaints execpt a little too soft at 2.8. If bad; much too soft under F5.6 (!!!why do you buy a F/2.8 then) and the many distortion and flare. But, build like a hammer!!!

If option 2: do I, after a few years, go for the L lens because I am not satisfied anymore by the other one? Or am I still happy and save for an L tele… Everything depends on my next few years. I can also wait, but I have worked so hard in the holidays (5 weeks, 6 days a week, from 6.30am to 2pm) that and I want spoil myself with the earned money…

I am really getting crazy on this because I don't know what the next years will bring, how the other lenses are etc...

The majority thinks I should go for the 20D + grip and save for the Tamron...

Greetings,
Faan
Faan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2005, 7:46 PM   #2

So many questions.

If you don't need the extra features of the 20D, get a Rebel XT.

I have the Tamron 28-75 and it's a great lens for the 20D. The construction is very good.

You can learn a lot about photography without owning an L lens. I wouldn't buy an expensive L lens unless:

a) I was making money off my photography to justify the expense, or

b) pricewas no object

Either the 20D or the XT are great cameras. The Nikons are great too.

All those cameras are waiting for you to explore your creativity!

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2005, 6:58 AM   #3

I don't like the Rebel XT, way too small and light for my telelenses when I go spotting...
That's what I tought, no L unless pirce is not an issue or I am going pro.
What do you all think about th Sigma and Tokina? I would really like something strong build that can sustain some bumps, dust, waterdrops etc... The Tamron seems less buidl compared to the other 2... but then again, the other two have some bad reviews...
Old Aug 21, 2005, 8:32 AM   #4

I own two tamrom zooms and never had a problem with either of them.

Tokina have never been known for quality, whereas the Sigmas are good lenses but built like a tank (similar to Nikon lenses, for that matter).

Tamrons are very good consumer grade lenses. They don't try to compete with an L lens, they aren't build like a tankbut then they are 1/4 the price.

You can bang up four tamron lenses for the price of one L lens.

Personally I've never banged up any of my lenses in 20 years of photography, but I'm careful.

One of the reasons I don't have a nikon is I don't like carrying around and working with a tank in my hands.

As for water drops, I've had my Tamron out in light rain for 2 hours andsurvived it.

You can get water covers for cameras these days. If I'm in a really bad environment (salt water, sand, rain) I use a disposable film camera (if the situation allows).

-- Terry
Old Aug 21, 2005, 9:25 AM   #5

Thanks, you also talk about the Sigmas. That Sigma 24-70 F2.8, what do you think about it? When received a good one, it seems it's a great lens (and build like a tank :-)). But I've heard some really bad things about it too. Were those bad ones plain bad luck, or does Sigma encouter lots of these bad lense performances? What I also like about that Sigma is the Depth of Field view behind that small glass...
Old Aug 21, 2005, 9:31 AM   #6

Some people swear by Sigma's.

Generally they are very very sharp lenses (and built like a tank).

I've personally never had a bad lens and I've got tons of them (mostly film).

Try going to PBASE and look at shots that were taken with theSigma on a 20D and compare to the Tamron.

Personally I like the look of shots with a Tamron, even more than with a Canon lens (strange, I know). It's somewhat of a preference.

-- Terry
Old Aug 21, 2005, 9:34 AM   #7

Thx for this very quick reply!! I actually start to like this Tamron a lot, 99% good reviews. But I'm still worried on the build quality, I know it is very strong etc. But the Sigma for example looks a bit stronger to me. Only thing is, it seems to be very soft at 2.8 and I would like to use my new lens at 2.8 sometimes... I will certainly look at Pbase for some pics of both lenses!!
Old Aug 21, 2005, 12:41 PM   #8

I've never had any problems with my 28-75.

Tamron has actually improved their build quality over the years.

Good luck!

-- Terry

PS: I love my Tamron. If you buy it, I believe you won't look back. It's an awesome lens!

I'm just about to use it for some graduation photos later this aft.

Old Aug 21, 2005, 12:41 PM   #9

I've never had any problems with my 28-75.

Tamron has actually improved their build quality over the years.

Good luck!

-- Terry

PS: I love my Tamron. If you buy it, I believe you won't look back. It's an awesome lens!

I'm just about to use it for some graduation photos later this aft.

Old Aug 21, 2005, 12:50 PM   #10

Thx! I'm 99% convinced. Tuesday I'll try to test the lens myself at a local shop...