Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 20, 2005, 10:41 PM   #1
JFW

Hey there,

I was recently looking at cameras and was offered a 'refurb' as an alternative to what I was asking about... (Nikon D70)

I have heard a few different opinions on this topic. One friend says 'refurb' is the way to go because the equipment gets a good once over and personal tweaking from an actual technician as opposed to simply going through the production line. I've heard others say, "No thanks, I'll stick to new."

How does this play out in the DC world?

thanks in advance,

j:bye:
JFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2005, 10:49 PM   #2

I'd agree with the first opinion. A refurbished unit does have individual inspections..it is the way that companys have of retreiving those units that slipped through their QC sampling, fixing the flaw and still getting some money out of it.

If you can get a deal on a refurb unit...go for it..if it is the same price as a new unit...why bother?
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2005, 3:39 AM   #3

I've bought several refurbs over the years. They looked and performed as new. The only difference was that the warranties were for 90 days rather than 1 year. These were Class A refurbs. Class C refurbs should perform as new but can have cosmetic blemishes.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2005, 6:19 AM   #4

Where does one find a listing of refurbs for sale???...if the price is right, I might consider a refurb Nikon CP 8800 or an Oly C 8080...

BTW, are refurbs discounted because they are, in effect, used/rebuilt/pre-owned/or whatever???
marsha7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2005, 9:20 AM   #5

Marsha-

I know of no source for a refurbished Nikon 8800. However, Olympus does sell their refurbished C-8080 cameras on www.ebay.com. They are selling for right around $500 currently. I purchased one recently and was able to also get an extended warranty (total warranty time 27 months) for an extra $40.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2005, 9:59 AM   #6

Sarah: You have offered more help to more folks than I can imagine, and I am grateful for all the questions of mine that you have answered...for a semi-pro like yourslef, who may buy multiple cameras, you solve your "how do I decide?" dilemma by having cameras for each purpose...for those of us who want one camera with the most versatility, we ask a million questions so we can narrow it down...

I did read a recent(?) post of your that you just bought the Oly 8080 and were highly impressed with it...is that even compared to your Pentax *istDS???:-):-):-)
marsha7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2005, 10:20 AM   #7
Administrator

I bought a refurbished Coolpix 950 from Nikon some years back (via http://www.nikonmall.com ), and it arrived in perfect, like new condition. Actually, I suspect that itwas new (but, they didn't want to market it that way to hurt salesat dealers).

My only concern with buyinga D70 (you mentioned this model) that way would be what is sometimes referred to asBGLOD (Blinking Green Light of Death). You only get a 90 day warranty with factory refurbished Nikon cameras, and I've seen too many reports of this problem (usually near the end of a 1 year warranty) to take it lightly. So far, Nikon has been repairing many of these cameras outside of warranty. But, there is no guarantee that they'll continue this policy.

Newer cameras probably are not impacted (this seems to be a problem with D70 bodiesmanufactured a while back). But, there is no guarantee that you'll get a newer one, either.

Another concern is to make sure that you are buying a genuine Nikon Factory Refurbished camera (not something a dealer is calling refurbished). Also, you can't be too careful about making sure you get a model intended for sale in the U.S. Nikon USA will not service a camera intended for sale outside of the U.S., even if you are willing to pay them for the service.

Some dealers try to slant the fact that they're selling a grey market camera (one not intended for sale in the U.S.) with wording like "USA warranty" (that'sthrough the dealer, not Nikon). I wouldn't believe that anyone other than Nikon has the parts and expertise to fix your camera, either. ;-)

So, make sure you're buying a camera with a genuine Nikon USA warranty, too (which will be 90 days on a Nikon factory refurbished camera).

Added:

I'm assuming you're in the U.S.(your profile doesn't give yourlocation). If not, your country's Nikon distributor probably has a similar policy on repairs. ;-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 11:53 AM   #8
JFW

Hey there gang,

Thanks for the input and personal experience information.

JimC, I apppreciate the information about the Nikon. I am in the states - but only for a short time... so I figured I'd do a quick 'survey'. You've given me guite a spring board from which to do some more research. Thanks.

I was hoping to handle and perhaps purchase a C-8080 while here, but I can't seem to find one... (I like to touch and feel things before purchasing online... call me old-fashioned... that's when the refurb Nikon entered the picture. Thanks

j:bye:
Old Aug 25, 2005, 8:28 PM   #9

Hey JFW: As a long-time 35mm SLR user, I thought I had to have a dSLR; but my desire for a dSLR decreased greatly after I got my C8080. Now I can't imagine ever giving up the 8080.

Check out prices at the following sites:

http://stores.ebay.com/Olympus-Auctions

http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/prod...mp;sku=OMC8080

http://www.abesofmaine.com/viewprodu...0rb&l=CNET

http://www2.buydig.com/shop/product....mp;sku=OMC8080

Good luck
Steven R.

P.S. I've had good luck with refurbs in the past.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 11:07 PM   #10
JFW

Hey there Steven R,

Thanks again... This time for the great list of purchase options for the C-8080. Now, ifI could just get one in my hand to check it out...

Granted, I need to learn more about controlling the little job
I have (C-770), but I do find myself wanting to tweak my wrist a bitand manually zoom and focus the beast (physical'issues' leftoverfrom my K-1000 days).

I'm starting to see better, though. I'm starting to look beyond 'snapshot' again and I'm becoming more sensitive to lighting issues. It's all good. If I can get things downloaded and figure out how to 'share' a few shots, I will. (I think I definitely want a wider lens...)

well, them eggs is probably scrambled enough for now (logic? what logic?)

later, j:bye: