Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 24, 2005, 11:11 AM   #1

For some time now, I was thinking about buying second camera which would fit into my pocket and be with me all the time. I have Olympus E300 which is great for my needs, but sometimes it is just too big to take along. And then of course I see things I would like to take photo of ! And my girlfriend likes to take photos too...
So I started to look for some cheap and handy solution and somehow came across Sony DSC-S40 and HP-R607 which are nice compact cameras, very cheap and according to reviews are capable of producing decent results. And now the hard part: Which one of this two should I buy? I like Sonys low light focus assistant light, long battery life, a bit faster operation and very good movie mode. But Hp has few good things too: dedicated macro mode (seems that sonys is not so good), aperature priority mode, more scene to chose from and (for me) nicer design. It is also a little bit cheaper and has cheaper memory cards. And there is also orientation sensor and panorama mode and some other stuff. I am leaning toward HP, but low light focus could be issue I can not overlook. What would you choose, if this would be the only two cameras available? I know there are other better cameras, but not in this price range.

Best regards!

Sorry for any mistakes - english is something I learned in s
steppenwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2005, 9:45 PM   #2

Hi Steppenwolf your Engish is very good, don't worry about it.)

Also look at another camera in your price range: the Olympus C5500. At it's current price of about $200 US dollars, it is a great value for the money. Really good lens, 5MP, 5x zoom, compact size, rugged,both full auto and manual controls; and its pictures are excellent. And it also takes movies with audio, up to the card capacity.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/c5500.html

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 4:01 AM   #3

Steven, thank you for replay. This Olympsu really seems fine camera, but unforunately in our country (Slovenia) it costs (bealive it or not) 400 US $ so this is not an option.

Best regards
Old Aug 25, 2005, 8:37 AM   #4

Well, today I went into the local store and played with both cameras again. This time i was lucky, that both cameras had batteries, so i could try them a little bit. Somehow I found hp better for my needs. It was responsive (i tried friends HP 945 and it was so slooow) and it is nicer to hold. True, Sony is a little bit faster at startup, but hp seems better made. It was also cheaper - with memory card costs the same as sony without any card. So I ordered it online (store has on-line shop which has lower prices) and now am waiting for delivery. If it fails to satisfy my needs, i still have 15 days return limit. So, no harm done so far. :idea:

Best regards!