Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 24, 2005, 12:58 PM   #1

I posted the following at dpreview a few mins ago too as these are the two photo sites that I think have the "smartest" users :-) Help me pick the "one" for me please!
Okay-I'm still looking for that elusive compact camera that takes pictures almost as good as some of the "big" guys... my latest contestants are the Casio Z750, Fuji F10, Olympus C-7000, Panasonic FZ5 and New LZ1. My thoughts on why there is no clear winner (yet) are the following:
1. Casio Z750- Users' recommendation that I leave it on Audio vs On/Off due to possible lens error/jamming concerns me as I am a scatter-brain. In fact, I left my purse inside the Starbucks at my local Target earlier today and I didn't realize it 'til I was ready to load my kids + purchases into my car! Luckily, my neighborhood is very safe and I found it sitting right where I left it. See what I mean?
2. The Fuji F10 seems very close to being perfect but everytime I'm about to "pull the trigger" I read about yet another user in the Fuji forum returning theirs for one reason or another. From what I can gather, it seems to raise the ISO too much on Auto? And to be frank, I have not been "wowwed" by the samples I have seen on sites like pbase.
3.The Olympus C-7000 is in the lead right now as I have been Very Impressed by the samples I have seen online. SHARP. My only concern with this camera is its flimsy, plasticky build quality. Any comments regarding this? Love the retracting 5x zoom lens!
4.The Fz5 is an obvious candidate as it is the "little" brother/sister of the FZ20. But do I need another ultra-zoom camera?!? And it's not nearly as compact as the others.
5. Finally, there's the New LZ1...WOW! It sounds just about perfect except for 8 MP - can we say Overkill?!? and 2. Its hefty price
6. ???______??? Am I missing the obvious choice (fill-in the blank)

--

kimnicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2005, 4:24 PM   #2

Kimnichio-

'Just like old times! You might want to take a look at the new Fuji E-900 due out this Fall, I believe, in October. There is some doubt whether it has a focusing lamp though.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2005, 7:29 PM   #3

Oh my, NOW, that IS a nice compact but 9 MP ?!? Is the megapixel race getting a bit out of hand? Btw, I sadly read the "controversial" thread at the "other" forum - did you really stop posting there? What a Big Loss for that site ! I will definitely keep an eye on the Fuji E-900 as well as the Panasonic LZ or LX1 - the New 8 Mp compact!
Old Aug 24, 2005, 7:42 PM   #4

Sarah Joyce - Also, if we are only talking about the current/available models, would you say that the Fuji F10 was the "best" compact camera? Or should I buy the "oldie but goodie" E550?
Old Aug 24, 2005, 10:04 PM   #5

I really like the Fuji F10, but it is a quirky camera. It doesn't offer anything resembling manual mode, but it also doesn't function very well as a purely automatic point and shoot. People who hate to use flash seem to love the F10, but others may grow weary of having to select ISO sensitivity manually.

My first impression is that this is not a camera for someone who describes herself as a scatterbrain, but you'll have to decide whether that characterization applies to changing camera settings. But if taking photographs in relatively low light, without flash, is anything less than a major issue to you, you can almost certainly find a camera that will suit you better.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2005, 10:07 PM   #6

Robb- My gut feeling is that I might indeed become frustrated by the F10...so, what do you suggest instead? Canon SD500 maybe?
Old Aug 24, 2005, 10:12 PM   #7

I really like the new S80, although there are numerous complaints and grievances about it because it does not have RAW and uses SD card format. I, for one, see it as a major improvement over the S70 because it will use a DIGIC II sensor, has a 2.5 LCD, SD card, sleeker, and a much improved movie mode. I only hope battery life is also improved. I don't care about RAW; only great photos out of the box. :|
Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote