Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 31, 2005, 1:25 PM   #11

If she finds a place in her purse with some protection for the LCD screen the SD500 would likely be a good choice. People have been cracking the LCD on SD series cameras. She can take only short movie clips because they take a lot of space on the card. That isn't a great situation if she isn't taking a laptop or some sort of additional storage. Budget a large card if she has to fit 9 weeks worth of pictures on a single card. And forget movies for the trip if she gets the SD500 or another camera without MPEG4 movies.

If 5Mp will do the V550 is an excellent little camera. It has a beautiful large LCD and the MPEG4 movies allow you to use the optical zoom during movie recording – albeit with some noise in the sound track. It takes good pictures and the files are a bit smaller for each picture at best quality and size.

The only camera you list with manual controls is the Z750. It is a wonderful little camera with excellent controls. But if she forgot to put the mode dial in audio record before putting it in her purse there would be a chance of accidentally turning it on in the purse with the lens restricted. The last thing she would want to deal with on a long trip would be the resulting lens error. If she wouldn't mind carrying it with the mode dial in audio record I think it is the best of the lot. The MPEG4 movie mode is excellent and the past movie mode saves a lot of space because you don't have to grind away waiting for something to happen. The resolution is a tad better than the SD 500 and the corner sharpness and CA are a little better. But that dumb lens error would be a concern for me. I haven't had problems with mine, but nobody else uses it. If they did I think I would choose something more robust.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 6:19 PM   #12

Thank you slipe for all of your knowledge. And yes she will not have a laptop or anything of the sort, but I recently purchased a 1GB SDcard for my father's Kodak 6440 (which gives him far more pictures than he could ever imagine taking). So I may steal it from him and possibly buy another to go with it. I think they are selling at Costco for under $80.

The other thought was that she would find a local camera shop and have them download the pictures onto disc and fed-ex it back home. We have also discussed that if she gets a 7MP camera that she should keep the res. at around the 5MP size unless she finds some super perfect pictures to take that she may want larger prints of.

Slipe, it's funny that you narrowed it down to the SD500 and the Z750 because I personally have been leaning toward the Canon where she likes the look of the Casio (probably because of the LCD size) Now as I am not all that worried about the movie mode would you say that there is more worry of the screen breaking on the Canon or the lens error on the Casio?

Also what did you mean by keeping the camera in audio record mode? Is that because this is the only mode where the lens won't open? Is the power button more sensitive than other models?

Ultimately it sounds like these two cameras are very close together in their quality and size with the Casio having more features than the Canon. Such difficult choices!!

More opinions would be a wonderful addition to this craziness. Ad they would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael

BTW: Does the Casio have that panoramic stitch feature that the Canons do?
sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 8:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Slipe, it's funny that you narrowed it down to the SD500 and the Z750 because I personally have been leaning toward the Canon where she likes the look of the Casio (probably because of the LCD size) Now as I am not all that worried about the movie mode would you say that there is more worry of the screen breaking on the Canon or the lens error on the Casio?
I have no idea. There have been a lot of complaints about both on the respective forums. The power button isn't that easy to activate compared to others that are just a button rather than a switch. The difference is that the Casio sometimes develops a lens error where the others just turn themselves back off after a while and you never know it was on. You are correct that the lens doesn't extend in the audio record mode. I've learned to like that a little as I now reach for my camera rather than look for a pencil and paper if I have to note something.

The Casio doesn't have a panorama stitch feature. The Canon doesn't actually stitch them, but it gives an overlap area in the LCD and notes the panoramas for stitching if you use the right software. I take panoramas often with the Casio. The overlap on the optical viewfinder is perfect for stitching if you just line up the left edge with the previous right edge. You might ask a Canon owner, but I think it fixes the exposure and focus with the first shot like my Oly did. My Pentax didn't and the panorama mode was useless.

One caveat is that the Z750 is the smaller camera with a larger LCD. To do that they made the viewfinder small. It is fine for me as my distance vision is good. But I don't think it would be too good for someone who wears glasses. It has no diopter correction and you have to get pretty close to get a good image through the optical finder. It would be fine for contacts.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2005, 6:51 AM   #14

Hi

Go For Sony® MiniDVCamcorder DCR-PC55 Very Gooood

Performance, sharp pictures , Easy To Navigate& Price .

http://www.freenezy.com
Rose9994You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2005, 6:52 AM   #15

Hi

Go For Sony® MiniDVCamcorder DCR-PC55 Very Gooood

Performance, sharp pictures , Easy To Navigate& Price . You Can buy it From

freenezy.com They Have Free Shipping Offer

Rose9994You is offline   Reply With Quote