Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 25, 2005, 12:31 AM   #1

im lookingto buya stylish,fast, high quality camera in the following month.

The fx9 and sd550 are my top choices since they are coming out soon. I like the stabalizer the fx9 offers, but the sd550 might be overall better.

any advice will help. Even other models in the same category as those 2.Im not an expert in digi cams I just know the basics. My previous cam was a sony cybershot p10. It was ok, but i was always more impressed by other cameras performances than the p10's.

thanks
Norfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2005, 12:37 AM   #2

Both are solid choices however, you will save $100 + by buying the fx8 or sd500 as there are 99.5% the same without the premium price tag! Both are great - I have the FX7 although if you can afford the Canon, it has 7 MP vs 6
kimnicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 12:58 AM   #3

how is the speed of the fx7? and pic quality?
Old Aug 25, 2005, 5:14 AM   #4

Pic Quality is Awesome on the FX7-arguably better (slightly sharper) than the FX8. However, its speed is not. I actually had Both Cameras in my hand for a few days and compared pics - here's the link to that album....
http://kimnicho.smugmug.com/gallery/668809
Old Aug 25, 2005, 8:51 AM   #5

thanks kimnichothat link was nice. I know the fx9 will improve upon the fx8 in a few things like mp, LCD pixels(207,000 vs 117,000 of the fx9, 2 new scenes, venus engine plus, start up time accelerated, and a few minor other things. If I go with the fx9 I hope I can get a hold of the grey colored one. I think that the U.S. will only get silver and black.

What about the SD550? any one have any the SD500? how is the overall performance? I heard good things about the 500. I also heard some say the pics are grainy?

any other choices?
Old Aug 25, 2005, 10:04 AM   #6

I don't own the SD500, however, I have only heard wonderful things about its Image Quality. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it and in fact, hope to if the prices fall within "range". The only criticism I have read is that most people feel it is overpriced esp. when you compare it to other 7 MP ultra compacts like the Casio Z750 and Sony P200. But with the intro of the SD550, maybe that criticism will become mute.
Old Aug 25, 2005, 11:21 AM   #7

Tough choice, I'm highly considering those two as well. Also, may go less MP and head towards the SD450 or FX8.

I'm a loyal Canon owner, film Rebel and S100 Digital Elph. Neither has ever let me down. Nice that the SD550 has gone to a 2.5" LCD and still kept opt. viewfinder. Also good they added a few more scene modes.

On the Panasonic side, good they upgraded video and higher res LCD over the FX7. Also, the image stabilization is a strong selling point.

Both very capable cameras. Canon may have a better reputation and an optical viewfinder. Panasonic has image stabilization and higher res LCD.

Tough choice - come on September. Keep everyone posted as to which you decide and how well you like it.

Rushski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 12:59 PM   #8

I wholeheartedly agree with "Rushski" - the bad news is that indeed, it is a very tough choice. The good news however, is that there's No BAD choices here. If you can afford it, I would probably choose the SD500/550 over the Panasonic but only by a slight margin, mainly due to extra megapixels.
Old Aug 25, 2005, 2:14 PM   #9

I think if picture quality is the main criteria here, personally I'd choose Panasonic. Just it's OIS is already better than any other choice in ultra-compact out there. I got myself Kodak V550 because of better movie mode, and few other reasons, but if I was faced with current two choices, I'd definately choose Panasonic camera. It definately produces better quality images right out of the camera than Canon.
c0mrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 2:23 PM   #10

"Comrade" you might be right about that - having IS , I think it would be hard to buy a camera that doesn't have it.... I was trying to be diplomatic but if you haven't figured it out by now, I'm a HUGE LUMIX fangirl :-)

Btw, jr.com is taking preorders for the FX8 for $305 right now (silver and black)....