Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 25, 2005, 2:16 AM   #1

Hi All

I bought my wife an Olympus C310 3.2 megapixel camera and the thing uses so much battery as to be worse than useless, it is slow focusing and writing to the card. If we use the plasma screen on the back the batteries last no more than a couple of hours even with the 2300 mAh rechargeable batteries I bought. :sad:

The pictures it takes are fine but we have to carry so many batteries it's not worth having.

So to my question what camera should I buy her in the 3 to 4 megapixel range that has a sensible battery life and a sensible range of features. If it can use the 2300 mAh AA batteries we already have all the better. :-)

Here's hoping

Mark G
MarkG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2005, 3:47 AM   #2

It would help if you provided more criteria other than 3-4 MP, and sensible battery life with AA's - That narrows the field to about 100 cameras. Unfortunately, a lot of the $150 point and shoot digicams which use two AA batteries are not gong to provide good battery life...two hours is about right when using the LCD screen. Turning the LCD off will extend battery life greatly, but very often (as in the case of the C310) the optical viewfinder is inaccurate.

Give a price limit and a list of needed features for your new camera, and we'll try again.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 3:56 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply and sorry to be vague

What I am looking for is a good, compact, point & shoot camera with a decent optical zoom, good battery use and 3 to 4 megapixel resolution.

I am quite happy to go to four batteries like my old Olympus C2040Z, the batteries in that lasted for up to a week of very regular use with the LCD used.

She doesn't want anything too bulky like my Canon G6

Pricewise anything up to £150 ($270)

Hope that helps

Regards

Mark G
Old Aug 25, 2005, 7:59 AM   #4

Hi MarkG: Add the Olympus C5500 to your list of possibilities. A compact, well built, 5MP, 5x optical zoom, and uses 4 AA batteries. Excellent value for the money, with current street price around $200.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/c5500.html
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 12:30 PM   #5

Thanks look good, I always did like my Olympus C2040Z but the 310 has put me off Olympus a bit.

It may be a bit chunky for her but I'll go and have a look in the local shops

Why don't camera manafacturers publsih battery life times??

Cheers

Mark G
Old Aug 25, 2005, 6:12 PM   #6

Some do, but apparently Olympus isn't one of them. I have to agree with Steven on his suggestion. Keep in mind, that 4 AA batteries take up more space than 2, so if you want 4 AA's, you have to accept a little larger package. As far as battery life, you can probably expect over 8 hours of operation with a set of decent NiMH AA's, and 12 hours of playback only time, which is a little bit better than your C310.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote