Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 29, 2005, 1:16 PM   #11

Back in February I debated between the G6 and the S1and the Panasonic F20, ended up with the G6 and love it. It probably would have been a harder decision if the S2 was out, but the F20 is really close to the S2 and I still chose the G6. I also don't care about the movie mode and it really doesn't matter how good it is if you are never gonna use it. I did add a 420EX and WOW!! Remember the pop up on the S2 means RED-EYE!!
That is gone since I added the 420EX. The G6 also has a larger sensor. I do concede the big zoom is definately a big plus, but you have to really ask yourself how much you would use it, for me it wasn't enough times. I would probably never add the teleconverter to mine. Anyways, I just wanted to sound in since I had a similar situation earlier this year.
Bosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2005, 2:56 PM   #12

Thanks bosman,

this is really a hard call...i'd still like to hear views on th A200 (not straight from reviews - experiences please). You see i'm now thinking that some form of image stabilasation may be good. Not specifically for long tele shots but for all long exposure shots where camera movement may ruin the image. Hence my thoughts re: the minolta. Which also give me RAW and ext flash ( i know it's a special shoe but i know someone with a flash that i could use) and a better tele than the G6.

god, if only 1) i was any good at photography 2) could afford a dslr.. :lol:
nacoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2005, 4:05 PM   #13

From what I have read

long exposure = tripod!!!
Bosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2005, 5:01 PM   #14
jdp

Hi

Further to my last reply I went out and got the S2. I picked up the S2 and G6 in the store for a final 'feel' and the S2 just didn't want me to put it down! I've had 3 days with it now and the performance and results have knocked me out, prints to A4 size are immaculate and I'd guess beyond this size they will be pretty good too, I just cannot produce my own larger than this. Now I'm a serious 35mm (EOS 3) photographer andat some stage (i.e. when I can afford it) will gofull frame dSLR because I do not want to compromise my current range of prime wide angle lenses. Getting a digital compact has been on my mind for a while in order to supplement the 35mm kit for use when I want to travel light. Now I've got a problem, the S2 is so good I can see the 'serious' kit being left behind more often than I'd have thought.

One thing that's struck me straight away is how good and how valuable the image stabilising is. I know how well it works in a large SLRlens but I was sceptical about how the technology would perform in a small,llight weight and 'cheap' camera. Wellit does work eceptionallywell.... and it's not justat full zoom you'll benefit, superlow shutter speedsat the shorter focal lengths meanyou capture perfectlow light shots without havingtomoveup from iso50 orbolt it to a tripod.

I said earlier I'd be getting anS2 because it was going to befun. I didn't really expect it to rival my 35mm so 'fun' was a reasonable factor. Now I've got some practical experience Imust say the S2 is a real quality piece of kit, more than I ever expected and that's comparing it to 35mm and some of Canon's finestL series lenses!! (It's still not so good I'll be giving up on the dSLR though :-)). You will not be disappointed in any respect if you do get one I am sure ... and you will have fun!!!

jdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2005, 5:39 PM   #15
Administrator

jdp wrote:
Quote:
Now I'm a serious 35mm (EOS 3) photographer andat some stage (i.e. when I can afford it) will gofull frame dSLR because I do not want to compromise my current range of prime wide angle lenses.
It'snot ready to compete with your EOS-3 (performance, build quality, etc.). But, Canon did recently announce a new, lower cost, full frame DSLR.

TheCanon EOS-5D should be available in October at around $3,299 USD. Now, if we could only convince themto put the decimal point in a different place (i.e.,$329.90). ;-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 10:17 PM   #16

JDP,

I'm glad you took the time to share your experience with the S2. You hit the nail on the head with several points. The G6 is a very high quality camera, but most everything about it has been eclipsed by the S2. Even if a user hated taking video shots more than death itself, the S2 wins by virtue of DIGIC II, the superb IS (awesome), and all around better glass. It seems to me that having a fast and sharp lens that can zoom to 432 mm without accessories is an addictive bonus that will end up being used often. The macro and super macro modes on the S2 also kick the competition in the teeth.

The built in flash of the S2 is pretty close to the lens, and redeye raises it's ugly head more than I'd like, but that is corrected on the desktop with a mouse click. More important, exposures made with the built in flash seem to be very accurate, and the flash coverage is very even. I bought the accessory "high power" flash unit, which is cheap, bracket mounted, eliminates the redeye problem at the source, and extends the flash range of the S2 a great deal, but I hardly use it. The built in flash works well under most circumstances, and maintains the stealth size of the camera package. The G6 is a great camera, and I can't wait to see it's replacement, but the S2 has pretty much stolen the throne for now.

Voyager
Voyager13b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2005, 1:24 AM   #17

I bought an S2. Plenty of functions on it. The only gripe that I have is no hotshoe and no sync cord. As an experimentor I need these features.
geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2005, 1:54 AM   #18

That's my major gripe too. I suspect it will be fixed in the S3, and I can wait, as the "pros" of the S2 far outweigh the "cons". Still, how retarded can a marketing department be? I'm probably wrong, but it seems that someone at Canon cancelled plans to put a hotshoe on the S2 in order to maintain brisk sales of the G6 until stocks are depleted. Then the G6 will be replaced by a killer G7, and the S2 will be replaced by an S3 without the 1 gig movie barrier, and a real TTL coupled hotshoe that will accept any Canon flash unit.

Voyager
Voyager13b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2005, 9:35 PM   #19

Eventually after much deliberation and a whole pile of help from you guys i plumped for ........

The Canon Powershot S2 IS.

What sold it was

1) having seen a 5meg jpeg out of the same camera i decided i certainly didn't need any more pixels to play with.
2) decided that i only really wanted RAW and an ext flash just 'cause i could have one. And in the cold light of day they were certainly NOT a priority.
3) 12x optical zoom + image stabilisation. The zoom was/is fantastic and the IS is worth so much more than just disguising shake at 72mmm full zoom..
4) start up times and cycle times are great (at least compared to what i'm use to) and a lot faster than the other 2 cameras i was considering.
5) AA batteries. Cause i got lots of 2600mAh niMH and you can always get alkaline jobs if your stuck
6) battery life - reported to be 500 + pics (including having the lcd and IS on) on one set.

+ a whole pile of other things. One thing i said i didn't care for was the video capability. I may be eating my words here as it's excellent quality (for a camera). So i may find a use for it afterall.

I've just had my first day with the camera so am still learning my way around it and therefore haven't yet been too adventurous in my shots.

However out of the 400+ i took today i've stuck up a few if you'd care to have a look.

http://www.davlam.f2s.com/S2_first_pics/

thanks again for all you're help
nacoya is offline   Reply With Quote