Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 26, 2005, 11:41 AM   #1

-Hi,

I've been an avid follower of the site for ages but have only just joined.

I need a new camera. Current one is an oly 3020z.

I'm torn between the G6 and the S2.

I like the G6.

7meg
ext flash
RAW format

I like S2

12x optical

What do i go for.?

I can get a 3x tele converter for the g6, but it doesn't have image stabilizer.
problem with S2 is no RAW, but it's a much newer.

In theory, subject and my ability aside, the G6 with 7mp and RAW should go someway to make up the difference in optical zoom, in respect of digitally zooming/cropping in photoshop. Is that a fair enough statement?

Both cameras i can get for cira 300-330 quid (GBP).

Any thoughts/comments/suggestions much appreciated.

regards,

nacoya
nacoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2005, 2:08 PM   #2

Cropping or using digital zoom isn't a substitute for an optical zoom. Taking the G6 to 8X with digital zoom or cropping would give you a 1.75Mp image. If you need more than 4X zoom you should probably consider the S2.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2005, 3:10 PM   #3

Hi,

yea i fully understand that. What i meant was that taking exactly the same image with a 5mp and a 7mp you can crop/zoom with eg photoshop and retain more quality with a 7mp image.
Anyways i'd most probably get the 3x optical tele convertor with it as well taking it to 12x optical but minus the image stabilizing function inbuilt in the S2.
Old Aug 26, 2005, 3:36 PM   #4
jdp

I've wrestled with exactly this decision for the past week! Now decided in favour of S2. Why? I think I'll have more fun with it!!! Strange how it came down to this after I had serious thoughts on zoom range, total pixels, stabilised vs not, raw capability, size, weight, handling, build quality- and I still could not split them. So fun it was i.e. big zoom, good video, crazy macro, fast burst capability and some silly in camera colour tricks.

Have fun which ever you choose.
jdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2005, 3:38 PM   #5

I suppose you are also already aware that the lack of a stabilizer is greatly exacerbated by the tele adapter reducing your light input.

Most people go with adapters in the 1.7 to 2.2X range and stack them if they need more. All adapters aren't created equal. Make sure to check on the Canon forums for what has worked for people.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2005, 1:01 PM   #6

I've been debating this one myself. I was all set to buy the s2 online and then I started second guessing myself with regards to the larger sensor,larger lcdand f/2.0 lens of the G6. I keep thinking maybe there will be an s3 coming out early next year that will have a larger lens, lcd and sensor (oh, and no more four AAs, those make it weigh a ton, I hate that, and then having to lug around four more spares, ugh)... or maybe I really don't need the 12x zoom of the s2. I already have a casio z750 that I love, so I don't really need another camera to take great pictures, but I really want a rotating lcd, larger aperture, and more zoom so I guess it only makes sense to get the s2... such a difficult decision! I keep reading comments that the G6 supposedly has better image quality though -but from what I've seen and my own test shots in the store the s2 seems to produce great quality, I'm just afraid once I actually have it and am using it I will be disappointed.
Zcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2005, 1:51 PM   #7

That's kinna the same place i'm at..which ever one i choose it's sods law i'll wish i got the other.
I just think that whereas there is something of a fun factor and undeniable performance in the S2 (and the zoom) there is a longevity in the G6 with its DNG capability and ext flash, 7.1 MP and as i'm only used to 3.2 meg and 3x optical on my oly 3020z how much do i really need 12x optical or would 4x optical + a 2x tele converter using a tripod to help minimise shake be enough. And whilst accepting that the S2 has a better 'movie' capability, i don't care about movies, that's why i have a DVC, i want a new stills camera which offers as closer to DSLR performance and spec as possible without the expense (granted the speed - start up, lag, zoom, continuous of the S2 betters that of the G6).

So in summary i'm no further forward really :lol: .
Old Aug 28, 2005, 11:48 PM   #8

There is no comparison between a photo taken by the S2 at 12x optical, and a pic taken by the G6 at 4x max optical length. Even with a tele converter on the G6, the S2 will win hands down in quality. The difference between a 5 and 7 mp sensor with the same lens and chipset is minimal. In this situation, photos made with the S2 are on par with the G6 at similar lens lengths, but the S2 beats the G6 with a stick at longer lengths. The S2 has the benefit of a newer, longer lens, DIGIC II, stereo sound, and a host of other features that were just a fantasy when the G6 hit the market.

The G6 is a great camera, and you will be proud to own it, but as you said in your first post, the S2 is newer. It has features that the G6 lacks at this point in time, and using add on Band Aids like converter lenses to fix them is not the way to start using a new and expensive camera. The S2 has converter lenses available too, and the G6 could never hope to catch up. The G6 does some things very well, but the S2 does many things better, and others that the G6 can't do at all. The G6 is already stressed by time, and still costs too much. When it sells for the same price an S1 sells for today, I might buy it, but that won't happen until after the G7 hits the market. Buy the S2 and be happy.... I wouldn't trade the overall performance of the S2 over the G6 for a flash shoe and the ability to record RAW images.

Voyager

Voyager13b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2005, 1:09 AM   #9

Someone mentioned that the S2 beat the G6 in movie mode, but they didn't care about movie mode, as they have a DVR. That's fine, but movies are just the tip of the iceburg. The S2 beats the older G6 in most every area. Even in lens speed, there is no effective difference between an F2.0 lens and an F2.7 lens, and when the F2.7 lens also happens to zoom out to a fast 432 mm in length at a mere F3.5, the choice should be a no brainer. How about IS? What is that worth? Two or three stops? Once again, the G6 simply cannot compete with the S2. Even the DVR of the member who doesn't appreciate the movie taking functinality of the S2 would be astounded at the quality of the movies the S2 can record.

Someone also mentined the AA batteries as a bad thing. I don't get that at all. The S2 and the G6 weigh within an ounce of each other empty, and within a few ounces with batteries installed. I bought three lithium ion batteries for my S400 at around $40 each a few years ago. When I use the camera for a long weekend of shooting, I need to carry all of the batteries with me. The S2 uses four AA batteries, which only weigh a few ounces, and carry enough energy to fill several gig of SD memory in one sitting. I think it's pretty much ideal. As opposed to proprietary batteries, I bought a set of 12 2300mah AA rechargeables for about $20.00. Even using flash, it takes an incredible amount of shooting to wear out one set of NiMh batteries on the S2, and three fresh sets in a camera bag can last an entire vacation without a charge.

Sorry about the battery rant, but when I read complaints about cheap, high density batteries in a light and power frugal camera like the S2, I am amazed. The S2 weighs less than one pound without batteries, and only several ounces more with AA batteries. It comes with a 36mm-432mm F2.7 to F3.5 ultrasonic zoom lens standard. It can take over 600 full resolution image stabilized shots on one "roll of film". Additional "rolls of film" only weigh a few grams. It can take awesome image stabilized movies with high quality stereo sound. It offers computer control, built in flash, full manual control of every creative aspect, and the entire package (including AAA batteries) weighs less than the body of an SLR. Did I mention top notch IS macro modes?

To outfit an SLR to match the S2 feature for feature would cost several thousand Dollars, and would weigh as much as 150 AA batteries. My old Canon T-90 with motor drive was my pre EOS favorite, but compared to the S2 with all accessories, and plenty of spare batteries, it weighed a ton, and cannot compare to the S2 in real life situatins. I'll be happy to keep the cheap AA NiMh batteries in a full featured, and mid sized camera like the S2.. I'll suffer through the expense of proprietary batteries when I buy a pocket cam.

(Iedited the "AAA" error I made over and over when I posted this note. It must have been a heck of night to confuse them, but of course, the S2 uses AA high capacity batteries)

Voyager

Voyager13b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2005, 5:14 AM   #10

Thanks voyager.. very well put and convincing. given me even more food for thought.

One other camera which i both like physically and which conceeds to middle ground the optical zoom problem but also has ext flash and RAW is the Minolta A200.

Thoughts on that one please. (bearing in mind i also don't do a lot of high speed photography)

(i can get that for the same price as the other 2)