Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 26, 2005, 12:40 PM   #1

Both cameras seem very good but the Fuji seems to beat the Canon in picture quality on all the reviews that I've read. The Canon has a "snow" mode though which would probably be useful as I'm going skiing soon -- would the Fuji be likely to under-expose photos on "auto" in bright snow conditions?

The Canon uses SD cards which is useful has I already have a few of them lying around. The Fuji is a fair bit cheaper, though.

The Fuji has considerably better battery life than the Canon and it also goes up to ISO1600 which (as far as I know) would improve the quality of photos taken in low-light.

Does anyone have any experience with either (or both) of these cameras? Which would you recommend?

Thanks
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 27, 2005, 1:50 AM   #2

I own the F10 and I can vouch for the fact that the picture quality, is very, very good. I have not had a snow scene available yet to photograph with it (I only bought it in May) so I don't know how it would perform in full auto mode in those conditions. But I would imagine that you could take one picture and check how it looks on the LCD. If it looks underexposed, simply adjust the exposure compensation (e.g. by +0.3 EV) and try again, and keep trying until you get the result that you want. Then leave the camera on that setting for all your snow pictures.

It's my belief that the SD500 will give you great pictures without having to get to know it very well (i.e. if you want to use it in full auto mode only), while the F10 will require a little more familiarity with the camera's tendencies to get the best out of it (it works best in manual mode when you choose certain settings yourself). I was more than willing to learn the F10's quirks in exchange for its excellent high ISO capability and awesome battery life. xD cards didn't matter to me since my previous digicam used Smart Media, which is pretty much obsolete.

So, obviously I prefer the F10, but I don't think you'll go wrong with either.
sjseto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2005, 7:11 AM   #3

Useful post, thanks. :-)

To make the most of the high ISO settings that the Fuji has, do you need to set it manually? Are photos taken with the Fuji at night on "auto" mode nothing particularly special?

And does the camera "remember" when you have changed the exposure compensation -- or would this need to be re-ajusted every time the camera is turned on?
Old Aug 27, 2005, 8:13 AM   #4

These days you can pick up a 1 gig CF card for about 50-60 dollars so I wouldn't let that worry you.

I personally would recommend the Fuji F10 with its excellent 6pm sensor.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2005, 8:13 AM   #5

These days you can pick up a 1 gig CF card for about 50-60 dollars so I wouldn't let that worry you.

I personally would recommend the Fuji F10 with its excellent 6pm sensor.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2005, 9:04 AM   #6

Recon wrote:
Quote:
Useful post, thanks. :-)

To make the most of the high ISO settings that the Fuji has, do you need to set it manually? Are photos taken with the Fuji at night on "auto" mode nothing particularly special?

And does the camera "remember" when you have changed the exposure compensation -- or would this need to be re-ajusted every time the camera is turned on?
Actually, I find that if you keep the camera in auto ISO, it will often use higher ISO's than is really necessary. For example, on a bright day outdoors, the camera might choose ISO 200 when ISO 80 would still give you a fast enough shutter speed to avoid blurriness due to camera shake. So for that reason I like to set the ISO manually, so that I can choose the lowest ISO possible.

In low light shots, I've found that auto ISO will give you ISO 800 almost all of the time. The quality of the picture that results is no different than if you'd chosen ISO 800 manually.

You can check out some of my F10 sample pictures to see what I mean.

And, yes, the camera will remember when you've adjusted the exposure compensation. There is no need to reset it every single time you turn the camera on.

sjseto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2005, 2:17 PM   #7

I am pretty much a complete newbie when it comes to photography, so I'd like the camera to do as much as possible automatically. Even though I have read that the F10 tends to select an higher ISO than needed (as you mentioned as well), I think I've still decided that the Fuji is the camera for me. I'll probably manage using some of the manual(ish) stuff like setting ISO and changing the exposure compensation (if ever needed) anyway.

Thanks for the advice. :-)