Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 26, 2005, 4:04 PM   #1

Which camera will produce least noise and better images out of the 3. Most of print will be large size 13x19. Thanks.
justpoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2005, 5:09 PM   #2

I found the answer to my question. Just printed out 2 sample pictures each size8 1/2 x 11" from Steve's sample here and the Casio won each time, follow by Fuji F10. Kodak V550 is the worst of the bunch.

Out of my curiosity, I also printed out images from the well regarded Olympus C7070 and Panasonic FZ5. Compared the S500 with C7070, and FZ5: Olympus has the best detail, resolution, no noise - follow closely by the Casio S500 and to my surprise FZ5 could not beat the Casio........ My 2 cents.

Old Aug 26, 2005, 5:38 PM   #3

Interesting –Jeff at DCRPthought the resolution wasn't very good on the S500 in his review. And the F10 is supposed to have the highest resolution of the lot. Dpreview in their resolution tests thought the F10 resolution was higher than any of the 7Mp cameras.

Did you print at 13 X 19?

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2005, 8:53 PM   #4

I haven't been able to find any low light (without flash) pics taken by either the Kodak or the Casio. Unfortunately, all of those bright sunlight, ISO 80 - 100 pics will look great with just about any camera. I doubt that either the V550 or the S500 can come close to the F10's performance in low light situations (ISO 400 vs. 1600).

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2005, 11:00 PM   #5

Proof is in the print out. Please just download same images (similar I should say) from each camera and print them out. and compare. I sure have fun doing it.

I only print them at 8 1/2 x 11 as I dont want to waste expensive 13 x 19 paper just for the sake of comparision
Old Aug 27, 2005, 10:41 AM   #6

rinniethehun wrote:
Quote:
I haven't been able to find any low light (without flash) pics taken by either the Kodak or the Casio. Unfortunately, all of those bright sunlight, ISO 80 - 100 pics will look great with just about any camera. I doubt that either the V550 or the S500 can come close to the F10's performance in low light situations (ISO 400 vs. 1600).

the Hun

Actually Kodak can do ISO800, but only at 1.9 MP...
c0mrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2005, 6:16 PM   #7

If most of your prints will be 13 X 17 you aren't getting a good indication printing them at 8.5 X 11. The Fuji will probably give the better large prints. For one thing it has more pixels and for another it has a higher resolution.

The best native resolution you can get for a 13 X 17 crop from a 5Mp image is a little less than 135 PPI. You can upsample to smooth it out a tad, but the resolution isn't great. Any improvement in native resolution above that is noticeable.

Crop the images to 65% of their width and print the result at 8.5 X 11. You will get an idea what they would look like at 13 X 19.

You also seem to be going by the default settings on the cameras. I couldn't imagine making a large print without getting the image to my liking in an image editor.

Even after the best work I can do in Photoshop I see a pretty big difference between 13 X 17 prints from my 5Mp cameras and from my 7Mp. Cameras like the 7Mp Sony P200 are in the same price range as those you have chosen. You would get better 13 X 17 prints from a 7Mp camera. 135 PPI is in the range where you see definite improvements with more pixels.

Since you say most of your large prints will be 13 X 17 I don't think you are doing yourself any favors by making decisions based on 8.5 X 11 prints.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2005, 6:42 PM   #8
Administrator

justpoor wrote:
Quote:
I found the answer to my question. Just printed out 2 sample pictures each size8 1/2 x 11" from Steve's sample here and the Casio won each time, follow by Fuji F10. Kodak V550 is the worst of the bunch.
You're comparing photos taken of still subjects in optimum lighting.

Make sure you consider how you're going to be using a camera when doing your comparisions.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote