Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 26, 2005, 7:45 PM   #1

I'm Looking for a camera with an intelligent self-timer combined with continuous mode.

Ok, let me explain: I'm travelling alone on my motor bike. I want to take pictures of myself in motion.

What I envision is this: Mount the camera on a tripod, and manually (!) focus it on a certain distance. Set the camera to continuous mode. Set the self-timer to, say, 90 seconds.

Start the self-timer. Jump on the bike, go around the next curb, u-turn back, stop before I get into the camera's view, wait (using my stop watch) until the 90 seconds have almost expired, then ride into the camera's view.

When the camera goes off, it should shoot, say, 10 pictures within 20 seconds. Well, 20 pix within 10 seconds would be more to my taste but that's asking a bit much, no?

I'd like to spend no more than, say 300$.

Which camera can do this?
--
Gregor's Motorradreisen:
http://hothaus.de/greg-tour/
yodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 27, 2005, 1:33 AM   #2

Manual focus and continuous shooting performance like what you described is available in DSLR's and maybe some higher end prosumer cameras, so that's not asking too much.

What is asking too much is to get such a camera at $300. Count on spending a heck of a lot more than that.

Plus I don't know of a camera other than Nikon DSLR's (and their film SLR's) that have a self-timer that will give you much more than 10 seconds (Nikons have a 20-second option).
sjseto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2005, 4:42 AM   #3

I just found out that the Canon PowerShot S2 IS has a custom timer of up to 30 seconds. It can do up to 2.4 fps in continuous mode. It has manual focus. It costs about $500.

Close.

I guess I'll have to raise my imit to $500, then.
Anything else you know of? I'd really need a bit more than the 30 seconds timer.

Thanks,
Greg
Old Aug 27, 2005, 8:51 AM   #4

I just took a quick peek at your site. Is that you on the bike? Cool stuff. You sure do get around

Anyway, something else that I don't know is possible is if you can use both continuous shooting mode and the self timer at the same time.

I always thought that, in continuous shooting mode, the shutter button has to be depressed for the entire number of frames that's being captured, and when you take your finger off the shutter button, the camera stops shooting.

I don't own a DSLR, but I havea Nikon F80 film SLR, and there isn't a way to use the self timerAND take a sequence of pictures once the time is up. It's single frame shooting only.

Perhapsyou should consider cameras that have a wireless remote control rather than a really long self timer. Do you think that would work foryour needs?I still don't think that would solve the continuous shooting problem, though...
sjseto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2005, 11:10 AM   #5

What you describe is true for manual continuous mode, and most cameras can only do this mode.

In the custom timer/continuous mode of the Canon S2, you can set the timer to a delay (up to 30 seconds) and the continuous burst to a number (up to 10, I think). A very unique feature, I have not seen other cameras yet that can do that.

I thought about wireless remote controls, but nobody can guive me a good answer about the distance it works with. If it uses infrared, its range is probably like a TV zapper - no more than living room diameter. I would need 50 or so yards. Do you know more about these?
Old Aug 27, 2005, 8:31 PM   #6

I don't know about a camera that would fit your needs, but have seen some info on using the transmitter and receiver from micro RC cars to control cameras. These have considerable range and can operate to hold shutter button down. You would need to be fairly handy as an electronics hobbyist to do this, though.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2005, 9:16 PM   #7

Just wondering, and thinking out loud. Perhaps using a camera like the Canon S2 in video mode might be a better options (at 30 fps). It has excellent image (movie) capability at 640 x 480, if higher resolution is not important. No need to keep track of 90 seconds on a stop watch (and fall off the bike!!!), or worry about 10 second timers. Just a thought. Good luck.

sh10453 is offline   Reply With Quote