Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 26, 2005, 10:06 PM   #1

maybe you can help me pickmy first dslr. because of the hype i read about d70 and d50, im now confused. d70 or d50??? tnx
akocdex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 27, 2005, 6:08 AM   #2

maybe you can help me pickmy first dslr. because of the hype i read about d70 and d50, im now confused. d70 or d50??? tnx
Old Aug 27, 2005, 7:02 AM   #3

Both are very good cameras. The d50 is missing several more advanced features which only a serious amatuer/pro might miss, such as DOF preview, wireless flash control, more ISO control and the dual command dials. Also the 18-70 kit lens is slightly better than the 18-55 that comes with the D50.

You haven't mentioned your skill level or shooting needs. Knowing this info would allow folks to give better and more detailed advice.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2005, 8:11 AM   #4

Check out the Canon Rebel XT which is the leader in the price range your looking at.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2005, 9:05 PM   #5

rjseeney, thx for the info, Im just a beginner, i've already own a nikon f65 and nikkor28-100mm G lens. I would like to try digital, because of the expense of film, my experience in photography is limited.
Old Aug 27, 2005, 9:15 PM   #6

tnx, i will also check out Canon Rebel XT.
Old Aug 28, 2005, 7:32 AM   #7

The D50 is cheaper, a little lighter and smaller and not as fast as it's big brother, the D70s. That said, you'll probably get slightly better photos "straight out of the camera" on the D50 because the image processing is geared up for that. The D50 also has slightly less image noise, but at the expense of absolute detail.

The kit lens on the D70 is better than the one on the D50 - greater coverage, better optics. The D50 lens is more akin to the one you get with the Canon XT (an average lens, at best). D50 also takes SD cards only, while the D70 takes CompactFlash and Microdrive (a big factor when I had to make the choice as going for the D50 would have meant buying cards from scratch again).

My own choice was between the Canon XT, the D50 and the D70s. I ended up with the D70s - something about how it felt in the hand was just better. It was a long and tortuous choice to make though and I'd have probably been happy with any of the cameras in all honesty.

Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2005, 8:22 AM   #8
Administrator

Moderator Note:

The original poster started more than one threadasking the same question. So, the threads have been merged together to keep the responses in the same place.

Jim C.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2005, 9:03 AM   #9
Administrator

There are a number of differences between these Nikon models. Here are a few of the differences that the new D50 has:

* Secure Digital versus CompactFlash Media for storage

* SlowerFastest Shutter speed (1/4000 second versus 1/8000 for the D70). But, who needs 1/8000 anyway?

* Alarger metering circle for Spot Metering

* Slightly larger LCD display (the D50 uses a 2" display, whereas the D70 used a 1.8" display)

* Slightly slower continuous shooting (2.5 frames per second)

* No support for Wireless Flash

* It's a little smaller and lighter

* Metadata related to the"as shot" White Balance Information in .nef (raw)files for the D50is encrypted.

This is a controversial issue, andthe D50 represents thethird new model Nikon has started encrypting information from (the new D2Hs and D2x models were thefirst).

As a result of this enryption, Adobe has decidednot to support the "as shot" White Balance from .nef (raw) files fromthe D2x,partly due to concerns over violating the Digital Millenium Copyright Act. The D50 is not supported at all yet by Adobe Camera Raw. The D70s is also not officially supported by ACR, but the D70 is. You can use Adobe's DNG converter to get them to convertto a supported file format (but, you still won't get the as shot white balance).

If/when Adobe does add the D50,you'll probably be stuck with Adobe's Auto White Balance Algorithms (or you'll need to set white balance yourself after the fact later when shooting raw) if you want to use Adobe Camera Raw, since it's unlikely that Adobe will decrypt the White Balance in this camera (since they don't for the D2X).

Some other vendors of third party software have already broken the encryption. But,based on Adobe's actions so far with the D2x, I would not expect the "as shot" White Balance to be supported using PSCS or PSCS2with Adobe Camera RAW with any future Nikon models encrypting information (like the D50), unless Nikon gives them permission.

You can use Nikon's plugin (or buy Nikon Capture) if you need to shoot in raw and preset your white balance to the lighting.

Most users probably won't be impacted much by this issue, but I wanted to make you aware of it so you could make a more informed decision.

For more information on the encryption issue, see http://www.openraw.org

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2005, 9:15 AM   #10

For a beginner, a digital SLR might be a lot more than needed, I think.
D-SLR's are also a big expense, compared to aim-n-shoot, and it is not just the camera, but the lenses that you would have to buy in order to do a good job. Add to that the cost, size, and weight of all the gear that goes with them.

Keep in mind that the D-SLR's are fairly new to the world, and they continue to evolve, and to get better very quickly.
For example, a Canon D-30 would cost you an arm and a leg just 3 years ago or so. Now it is worth alomost nothing.

I would recommend an aim-n-shoot camera in this case. Make it your learning, or training digital camera until you have had enough experience to decide if you really want / need a D-SLR.

I have been in photogrpahy (as a hobbyist) for 35 years or more, and I have collected more 35mm SLR outfits (mostly Canon) than I dare to mention here, but I have not bought a D-SLR. I find the aim-n-shoot to be capable of doing most of what I want to do (generic use, outdoors, wildlife, macro, people, etc.).

There are many good cameras of this type on the market, and some of them now are with 8 megapixels or more, and super zoom capability.

Just my 2-cents.
Good luck anyway you decide.
Sam

sh10453 is offline   Reply With Quote