Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 28, 2005, 8:05 AM   #1

I am looking for a 5MP digital camera,I will be using it indoors quite a bit for auction pictures,also some outside for family outings,etc. I also would like to have video capabilities with sound as long as it is'nt Quicktime format and like everyone else I want the best picture quality I can get I currently have an Olympus D-520 which is ok but just does'nt perform up to what I want,after looking at the reviews here I usually end up confused,you help here appreciated,thanks in advance
tripleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2005, 12:22 PM   #2

If you want to take auction pictures indoors without a flash you might consider the Panasonic FX9. Stabilization is your best bet for getting pictures of still objects in limited light handheld. It doesn't have an optical viewfinder, so you have to use the LCD for all of your framing. But they have a new higher quality LCD that is reported to be better than the previous models in bright sunlight. None of the current LCDs are really great in bright light, but some are better than others. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/PanasonicFX9/

The Fuji F10 is another low light option. It lets you increase the ISO in low light. You would get more noise than with stabilization, but it would probably look fine printed snapshot size. Being able to use higher ISO is better for things in motion in limited light – stabilization doesn't help for subject motion, just hand shake. It doesn't have an optical viewfinder either and the LCD is a lower quality than the FX9 and harder to see in sunlight.

Neither of those are 5Mp and the FX9 might be pricey since it was just released. Steve's best camera list is a good place to start. Each listing is a link to the full review and there is a price check icon beside the listing. Look under 5 megapixel consumer: http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html

None of the others will likely be better in limited light than your Oly. You might be more specific about what you don't like about your Oly.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2005, 6:47 PM   #3

The Oly doesnt do good in low light such as indoors is the main problem,picture quality isnt that great either,thanks for the input
tripleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2005, 11:36 PM   #4

One camera that fills your bill is Kodak V550.

Last edited by musicarvind; Jun 6, 2011 at 1:06 AM.
musicarvind is offline   Reply With Quote