Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 28, 2005, 7:44 PM   #1

For a long time now I have been looking for a wide angle compact or subcompact companion P&S to accompany my Panasonic FZ5 12x. I especially like the new Canon S80, and will also take a look at the Fuji E900, when these camerasare released. I definitely prefer a camera with a viewfinder!

But my question for this forum now is more basic: Is a wide angle camera good for indoor low light photos of people, pets, and other indoor shots like that? Or is it better for landscapes and panorama shots? Just what is a wide angle best used for?

I am trying to decide if a wide angle is the best way to go, or to just purchase a "regular" lens camera (35mm - vs. 28mm - ). Thanks.
Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2005, 9:34 PM   #2
JFW

Justinian wrote:
Quote:
Is a wide angle camera good for indoor low light photos of people, pets, and other indoor shots like that? Or is it better for landscapes and panorama shots?
yes

(sorry, I just couldn't resist...) j:bye:
JFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2005, 10:13 PM   #3
JFW

Hey there Justinian, long time no type,

...seriously now...somewhat, that is...I just ran across the followinglink. It might help to explain a little more about'wide angle' lenses...

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=22

Doesn't your C-7070 have a wider anglelens (27mm)? You might try comparing what pictures you can take with your different cameras - or at different 'zoom' levelsto get a feel of what wider feels like and see how it fits your personal style - whether well-engrained or newly developping...

For example, hypothetically speaking and all that stuff,let's say you're at a family reunion for whatever reason... and you're trying to take a picture of all 32 of your cousins and Aunt Martha in the livingroom... with a wide angle lens (i.e., 24mm - 28mm), you'd, theoretically, be able to get the entire crew in the shot, without chopping Aunt Martha in half... whereas with a 'normal' (35mm-50mm)lens you'd have to take your pricturefrom across the street in orderto get everyone in - hypothetically, that is...

The fewer'mm' in the lens (<24-28mm), the wider the angle of view it is able to capture ina singleframe. So, you can get more in the shot at a closer range... Same thing with the outdoor panarama shots.. You get moreof your subject witha wide angle lens... however, the wider the view - the smaller the 'stuff' is in the picture.. reverse zoom...

It really depends on what types ofpictures you take - or want to take...I am trying my hand at landscapes lately, and am often aware that my lens ain't quite wide enough for what I want to put in the frame... and sometimes, it is frustrating wishing that I could back through the wall to get that'perfect' family photo...

Well, I hope this wasn't totally useless to you...:blah:

later, j:bye:

oh, if you're interested in low-light cababilities, you might consider f-stop issues (lens speed), as well.

oh, again, without trying to sound too cliche'... if photography isyour art, you can use the wide angle lensfor anything you want to use it for.. do something new, different, out of the ordinary...play, have fun...
Old Aug 28, 2005, 10:50 PM   #4

Hi JFW! Was your reply "useful?" Are u kidding? It was very, very helpful.Youanswered my question and then some and convinced me that a wide angle is justwhat I need.It would complement my FZ5 perfectly and then I'd have the best of both photo worlds - UZ and wide angle.

Now, since "confession is good for the soul," I confess that I sold my Oly C-7070 on eBay. I loved the camera but I found it a little too bulky to carry around. The FZ5 is much more compact itself, and now I need to replace the 7070 with a compact wide angle. Of course, there are not too many to choose from, especially w/ a viewfinder. I guess the Fuji E900 is not really a true wide angle, but if image quality and battery life are better than the S80, I could live with its 32.5mm lens.

And thanks for the wide angle link. I'll check it out.

Old Aug 28, 2005, 11:25 PM   #5
JFW

gee whiz.. I was concerned I wasstrayinga bit too far from technical... even for me...I'm thrilled to hearI was'useful'.. gosh, I'm starting to feel like Thomas... choo choo!:blah:

Good luck with the new camera and the new search. Ihope you got your money's worth in the sale of the Oly.. and that there was a great big feeding frenzy at the last minute :shock:....

and thanks for your enthusiastic response...

j:bye:

Old Aug 29, 2005, 6:24 PM   #6

Justinian-

If you got rid of the Oly C-7070, perhaps this is the time to take a look at the Oly C-8080. It is a super camera, with an excellentviewfinder and wide angle. Its Current price makes it a real bargain.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2005, 6:48 PM   #7

"If you got rid of the Oly C-7070, perhaps this is the time to take a look at the Oly C-8080."

If, as she said, Justinian sold the C-7070 because she "found it a little too bulky to carry around", I don't see the logic in suggesting she take a look at the Oly C-8080.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2005, 7:57 PM   #8

Well, first, "she" (Justinian) is a "he," and you make a valid point. I am looking for a subcompact or compact wide angle good in low light situations for mostly indoor shots and some outdoor landscape shots. That leaves the Canon S60-70-80 leading the pack, followed by the new Fuji E900 (but uses xD cards) or the Pan. LX1 (but does not have a viewfinder.)

Once the reviews are out and I check my bank account balance, I'll decide. I may also go for the Canon SD series, esp. the SD500-550, which, although not wide angle, has great image quality and can be used as a pocket P&S. Thanks for all your input and advice everyone, even if lucky2505 seemed to think that I was a "she." :G