Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 29, 2005, 8:52 PM   #1

I'm interested on opinions on these 2 DSLR cameras. I had pretty much decided on the D70S, but by the time I saved up the money the 5D was announced. It looks like it might be worth waiting for, but I have read that there are questions about the reliability of the KM stabilization technology. However, I haven't been about to find any specific information on the potential problem.

The advantages of the 2 cameras for me are:

5D:anti-shake in camera body

price

ISO range - 100-3200

D70S:duration of burst mode (buffer)

availabe now

more lenses available for Nikon (Sigma/Tamron etc.)

janetliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 29, 2005, 9:13 PM   #2
Administrator

To me, the Antishake would be more important. But, the Nikon is better in some areas (for example, the flash system). However, I'm somewhat prejudiced against Nikon right now. So, take my opinion with a grain of salt (I don't plan on buying any more Nikon products, even if I thought they were better).

Nikon's policy of encrypting metadata related to White Balance in their new D2HS, D2X and D50 models rubs me the wrong way, since I think it's a tactic designed to stifle competitionfor raw conversion software. So, I'm not going to support a manufacturer doing it (and Nikon has given no indication that they plan on stopping, despite protests from many people).

In any event, you should probably be comparing the Nikon D50 to the KM 5D in this market niche.

If you need a larger buffer, you may also want to consider the 7D. It's price has come down some since it's introduction (available for under $1100 from some reputable vendors now). KM will also start a new $200 rebate Sept. 1 from indications I've seen (unless the rebate form I downloaded from a vendor is fake, and I doubt it). I think they just posted it too early. ;-)

As for the 5D, it's shipping right now. I expect more stores to get them in this week. J&R Music World in NY got some 5D bodies in on Friday. B&H Photo got some of the 5D kits (5D + 18-70mm lens) in today. More vendors should have theirs by tomorrow (KM started shipping them out to vendors at the end of last week in the U.S.).

The 5D body will be $799 (but some discounters will have it for less), and the 5D kit (including an 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 lens) will be $899

As for lenses, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and others also make lenses in Minolta AF mount (like they do for Nikon mount).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2005, 5:01 AM   #3

The 7D is a little bit too expensive for me. I haven't seen any information on the rebate, but I would guess that it is only available in the U.S. (I'm in Ontario).

As for the lenses, when I just picked one at random on one of the websites, I know I saw that particular lens had the mounts for Nikon and Canon, but not for Minolta.
janetliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2005, 8:43 AM   #4
Administrator

There aresome lenses that are not yet available in Minolta mount from Sigma. For example, their new 30mm f/1.4 came out in Canon EF mount first. But, the vast majority of lenses from these guys (Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, Vivitar/Phoenix/Promaster) are available in Minolta mount.

KM will have an intitial production of 50,000 units per month with the 5D (a huge increase over the 7D).In addition, Sony has announced that it will be shipping DSLR models next year using Minolta AF lenses. That should give manufacturers some incentive to make sure they support this mount.

One thing I've noticed, is that lenses tend to be less expensive on the used market in Minolta AF mount, compared to lenses for other manufacturers. Because Minolta only hasone current DSLR model (not counting the new 5D), I think that it's supply and demand. Nikon and Canon have many more DSLR users combing the used market.They've been making a lot more DSLR models, for a lot longer. But, it's obvious that Konica-Minolta has decided to take this market very seriously now.

Interestingly, when I look at lenses at places like http://www.keh.com, sometimes I see the exact same lens from a manufacturer (Tamron, Sigma, etc.) in Minolta mount, for less than they're selling the same lens for in other mounts, even though the condition is marked the same. Supply and demand. :-)

One of the things I decided to do before settling on going withMinolta, was shop the used lens market at places like http://www.bhphotovideo.com, http://www.keh.com, http://www.adorama.com and http://www.ebay.com

I already have some Nikon lenses, but I'm going to rid of my Nikon stuff now.

Over the past two months, I've bought the following lenses (so far) in Minolta mount: Minolta 28mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 100mm f/2, 135mm f/2.8; Tamron SP 20-40mm f/2.7-3.5, 35-105mm f/2.8. Most of them were at a small fraction of their retail prices when new, and all of them are in great condition. You'd be surprised at some of the deals I've found (for example, a Maxxum 7000 with a 50mm f/1.7 lens and a flash for $49).

I haven't decided on a body yet. I'm waiting to get my hands on a 5D before I make up my mind.I've got a feeling that the bargain prices I'm finding may not last for long once the lens feeding frenzy starts (now that Minolta is shipping thenew 5D). That's the main reason I started buyingMinolta lenses before this model hit the streets. ;-)

One of the things to keep in mind when shopping.... Bodies tend to change rapidly with Digital Cameras. The technlolgy is still maturing. So, prices will depreciate on your camera body. Chances are, you'll be upgrading to the latest 16MP wonder body in a few years anyway. But, lenses are an investment, since you can carry them with you when you upgrade a body. So, I'm investing in all of the Minolta glass I think I may need, while I can get it at bargain prices.

So far, I've decided to avoid the "made for digital" lenses, too (lenses that only work on a sensor with a crop factor, and can't be used on 35mm). I suspect that we'll be seeing affordablle "full frame" (35mm size sensors) DSLR models available from manufacturers at some point. So, I want to make sure I won't be stuck with lenses I can't use on newermodels in the future. Although, at only $100 forthe 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 lens(when purchased in the 5D kit), I may get one if I go with a 5D (just as a small, light, walkaround lens with good focal focalrange).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote