Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 30, 2005, 2:42 PM   #1

Hey everyone,

I'm sorry if my question is rather silly, but I'm kind of new in digital photography and I don't know how to interpret different characteristics of cameras, yet. Colud you please help me a little bit on choosing a camera first? I thougt about Kodak Z740 for it's powerfull zoom ... do you think it's a good choise. Note that I'm not new in this domain.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Raducu
raducu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2005, 3:12 PM   #2
Administrator

Read the Conclusion Sections in the reviews here for any cameras you consider.

That's where you'll find things like Startup Time (how long it takes from when you turn on a camera until you can take a picture), Autofocus Speed (how long does it take to focus after you squeeze the shutter button), Autofocus Reliability (is it able to focus in low light, longer focal lengths, etc.), Cycle Times between Photos (how long after you take one photo do you have to wait to take another one), number of photos in a burst (if it has a burst mode, how many photos can you take before you need to wait on the camera to finish writing them to media before you can take more), Flash Strength, Image Quality indoors and outdoors, etc.

You'll also find things like Viewfinder and LCD usability discussed, along with lens quality (chromatic aberrations/purple fringing, corner softness, etc.).

Read the entire reviews to get an idea of a model's features, control layout, etc. But, make sure to read the Conclusion Section to find out how it stacks up. Of course, you'll find sample images for each camera reviewed here, too.

We also have a Best Cameras List where you'll find a list of cameras by type that have been deemed to be a good value compared toother similar models.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2005, 5:09 PM   #3

The Z740 has a very slow cycle time, about 3 seconds between shots for the first 2 shots, then it slows to about 7.5 seconds per shot thereafter. If you plan on taking action photos, you might want to shop around a bit. Go to the Best Cameras List that Jim posted, and look at some of the other megazoom cameras.

Good luck with your search.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 7:34 AM   #4

Thanks for replying me,

I've made some research and turned up that, as rinniethehun said, the Z740 is a little bit slow. In fact, in my opinion, 38 seconds to turn it of, if the buffer is full, seems an eternity. Do you have any suggestions for a camera with 8X zoom or more?

Raducu
Old Aug 31, 2005, 8:44 AM   #5

The Kodak DX7590 is a faster camera with excellent image quality. Panasonic has a couple of 12X zoom cameras (FZ15 and FZ20) with image stabilization. Fuji has the S5100 (and soon to be released S5200 which offers much faster startup) with 10X zoom. Olympus has a number of big zoom models available, including a brand new 10X zoomSP-500 UZ. Canon has the12X zoomS2 IS which also has image stabilization. And Sony has a new model, the DSC-H1 which also has image stabilization for its 12X zoom.

his is a rapidly growing market segment, take JimC's advice and read the conclusions and test results for the cameras you are interested in. Note that battery types and memory card types may also be important if you wish to share resources with other cameras or devices, for example a camera which uses SD cards and AA sized batteries may offer interchangeability with MP3 players or palm devices, or you may already have memory cards or batteries you wish to continue using in your new camera. This is not a big issue but it is worth examining.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 11:02 AM   #6

Wow, thank you verry much Monza. Your info was very helpfull.

I have another question: what exactly is the apperture? If I understood corectly, it's a relation between shutter speed and the diameter of the diafragm. Could you please tell me more. Sorry again if my question is too simple