Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 31, 2005, 10:00 AM   #11

OK you guys are killing me! I thought I had it down to 2 camera's....

I have to admit the 5d and 7d look awesome if budget pushing. The one thing I did love about the 8800 was the VR function, I thought it made a huge difference.

I also used a Minolta XE7 for about 15 years and loved that camera

back to the drawing board :?
disalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 10:11 AM   #12
Administrator

disalex wrote:
Quote:
OK you guys are killing me! I thought I had it down to 2 camera's....

I have to admit the 5d and 7d look awesome if budget pushing. The one thing I did love about the 8800 was the VR function, I thought it made a huge difference.
These models (Konica-Minolta)have some quirks that owners complain about (as you see withany camera model). But, I have yet to see a Konica-Minolta DSLR owner that didn't praise the benefits of Antishake when asked about it.

On the downside, your viewfinder isn't stabilized with an in body system like this so it can still be "shaky". But, they have a system of LEDs to let you know how much camera shake you've got, and it works to reduce blurwhen you take the photo (which is the most important part). ;-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 10:34 AM   #13

are you trying to tell me that the picture is really the important thing?

Old Aug 31, 2005, 10:38 AM   #14
Administrator

disalex wrote:
Quote:
are you trying to tell me that the picture is really the important thing?
Don't you know that bragging rightson how manymegapixels your camera has, and much money you've spent on equipment is more important? (NOT). :-)

I'll take a sharp 6 Megapixel image over a blurry 16 Megapixel image every time.

P.S.

My comment on "bragging rights"reminded of something that drives my wife nuts. I tend to be a "cheapstake" by some people's standards (I look for bargains, and don't mind buying something used). But, I often can't resist letting someone know how much I paid for something.

I can remember buying some used suits at a Thrift Shop I stopped in some years back. Well, when someone commented on one, I'd tell them where I bought it, and how much I paid for it (and in the case of two of them, it was something like $12 each at a clearance sale). They were actually very nice suits in a contemporary style. Sometimes widows bringperfectly good clothing to these shops.

But, my wife would have a fit when I told someone about them. I personally try notto let pride get in the way of my purchases, and I don't mind admitting it.:-)

Old Aug 31, 2005, 10:56 AM   #15

It's about getting the job done whatever that might be!

Now I wish Steve would review the 5D!
Old Aug 31, 2005, 11:13 AM   #16
Administrator

disalex wrote:
Quote:
It's about getting the job done whatever that might be!

Now I wish Steve would review the 5D!
I checked withSteve a few days ago, and he still didn't have one to review. They just started hitting the U.S.shores at the end of last week, and I'm not sure how fast they'll get them to reviewers(it may or may not be a while, and even after he gets one, he'll have to work the review into his schedule). There are a lot of new cameras hitting the market, and these things do take time. Steve is pretty overworked trying to keep up with them.

From indications I've seen (lots of user reviews are hitting the internet now), the image quality is on par with the 7D (although the 5D is missing some of it's features andhas a smaller buffer size).

The 5D viewfinder is not quite as nice either (at least on paper). But,users I've seen commenting on it (that have used both cameras) are saying that it's much better than they expected for a pentamirror type system. I suspect that the viewfinderwill be better thanthe Nikon D70 you're looking at (it's viewfinder is often criticized), but probablynot as good as the Pentax.

Old Aug 31, 2005, 2:00 PM   #17

Ok a quick lunchtime trip to Ritz for hands on testing. They had the D70,D70s D50 and *ist but not the Minolta. The D70, D70sand the D50 are just plain out faster than the pentax...

They felt better too
Old Aug 31, 2005, 2:17 PM   #18
Administrator

The Ritz here hasn't gotten any of the 5D bodies in either. B&H Photo and J&R Music World are already shipping them out to U.S. Customers. So, Ritz should have them pretty soon (as will other dealers), for the stores that plan on stocking them.

Also, make sure you are comparing cameras with similar lenses when looking at focus speed (and slower shutter times indoors can impact cycle times, too if similar settings aren't used). Ditto for the speed of the memory cards in the cameras.

For example, the 18-70mm kit lens that comes with the D70 is an AF-S lens (Silent Wave Motor technology for faster and quieter focusing). It's a much more expensive lens compared to the Pentax kit lens.

If you're not going to spend the bucks to buya fast focusing lensin a longerfocal rangefor your Hockey games, then it's not going to be that fast. ;-)

Anytime you compare things like AF speed, Image Quality, etc., make sure you take lenses into consideration. They make a huge difference. If you use a cheap, slowlens on one camera, and a good, fastlens on another when comparing them, you skew the results. Compare them using the lenses you'll want to buy to meet your needs with each model.

Now, having said all of that, yes the Nikon is faster (but, probably not by the margin you think because of the way I'm guessing you compared them).

Old Aug 31, 2005, 2:23 PM   #19

well...that's a good point on the lens's

Maybe I should head to CVS and buy a disposable
Old Aug 31, 2005, 2:39 PM   #20
Administrator

Quote:
Maybe I should head to CVS and buy a disposable
I think I've got a dozen or so of them here if you don't mind the film being out of date.

The ergonomics aren't the best.That thumbwheel they put on them for the film advance is not very comfortable compared to some of the nice film advance levers you see.

Also, you might need to practice a lot to get your cycle times and number of sustained photos in a burst up.It's much more difficult to use that littlethumbwheel compared to moving a frame at a time with a nice comfortable film advance lever.

There won't be any recharge times for batteries, but you may need to include some rest time for your thumb from time to time.

I'm also not sure thelenses are up to the task of resolving a lot of detail at a soccer game, but there is no Autofocus lag to worry about. :lol: :blah:

Again, compare them using lenses as close as possible. Also, remember that AF is harder indoors (light is very low indoors to a camera). The Nikon's AF is a bit more sensitive in low light compared to the Pentax. That helps it's speed, too.

And, you don't need AF-S to get relatively fast focus with a lens geared to focus quickly, when it has good optics to help the AF sensors see better for many uses.

So, keep all these types of things in mind when shopping.;-)