Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 30, 2005, 10:18 PM   #1

I'll admit... I've never heard of them.* At least not to my knowledge.*A few days ago, I was looking into the Panasonic DMC LZ2 camera and asked some friends online what they thought of it.* *Needless to say, one of my friends who's parents work with camera and film development, suggested that I look into cameras from more traditional companies, like Canon or Konica Minolta, and said that Pentax was about to release an inexpensive 5megapixel/3x Optical Zoom camera that I should look into.*Works fine for me... but my only problem is, I'm unfamiliar with Pentax in any way.* *Since the camera isn't out yet and coverage is sparce, what do people think of their products and the overall reputation of the company as a whole?Thanks.*
spooie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2005, 10:12 AM   #2

Pentax has a history every bit as rich and distinguished as Nikon, Canon, or any of the major camera companies. I suggest you put the word Spotmatic into a search engine and begin to learn about some of their legendary cameras.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 10:21 AM   #3

Pentax has a long, proud history. They are especially known for their fine lenses. My point-and-shoot digital camera is a Pentax Optio 33L and it's a fine little camera. I don't use it for my more ambitious work (I have a Panasonic FZ20 for that), but I still like the Pentax for those times when I want a small lightweight camera to carry around discreetly in a purse or pocket. I think my Pentax model has been discontinued and superceded since I bought it a couple of years ago, but I will certainly look at Pentax when I'm ready to upgrade again.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 10:28 AM   #4

By the way, for the reasons given by Steve in his conclusion of the LZ2 review, I consider the LZ1 to be preferable.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 1:31 PM   #5

You really have not heard of them? Kinda like not ever hearing about sanyo or subaru or any other 2cd tier large company. Even walmart carries their products
amicah22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 1:37 PM   #6

Always been in the top five. superb optics on SLR`s
geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 5:35 PM   #7

Can't say that I ever have, actually.* *I'm not too big into cameras, and the last camera I* bought was something for my 10th birthday, 14 years ago.* *I know of companies like Sony, Panasonic, Fuji, Kodak... because I buy their other roducts, and companies like Canon, Olympus, Konica Minolta from various ads.* But I've never encountered an Pentax. * *At least, not that I can remember.* *And I asked a few people at work today about digitcal cameras they might own, and if they ever heard of Pentax, and the general answer I got was that they didn't know of them.*So I guess it's just all around ignorance on my part.* :PAnyhoo... Thanks for the background info and suggestions everyone.*
spooie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 7:52 PM   #8

The Pentax K1000 was one of the most basic 35mm SLRs you could buy, the mainstay of photography students in the late 1970s, throughout the 1980s and still on the list in the early 1990s. I believe the production run was about 28 years. Pentax makes lenses for other companies as well, such as HP. The SMC (super multi coated) lenses were the first to offer really effective flare reduction, and through the 1960s Pentax was used by many pro photographers. If you look closely you will find that many of the advances that we now credit to Nikon or Canon were actually first introduced by Pentax (and poorly marketed).

The products are first rate, I have owned 5 Pentax SLRs, the oldest is now 30 years old and still works. My pocket digital is an Optio 33L , one of the most underrated p&s 3.2MP cameras out there, image quality is superb.

'nuf said.

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote